What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melting snow to water CP's

• Thread starter Anna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    snow
I use the snow to water my plants. I live in northern Ohio and we've been getting quite a bit of snow...and it sounds like another snow storm is heading right for us (expecting 8-14").

A few words of additional advice when using snow...besides using the yellow or snow close to roads. If you have a deep pile of snow, do not take the snow from the bottom (close to the ground), you run a higher chance of picking up some additional dirt/soil that may not be good for your plants.

Also, realize that the ratio of snow to water is about 5 (sometimes 8):1. So it may take 5 to 8" of snow to get 1" of water. It may take a while for the snow to melt. To help speed up the process, I have some large cooking pots on the stove and toss the snow into the pots, until the pots are full of water. I don't allow the water to get too hot. Then pour the water into the clean jugs.

Good luck

Hi All:
What I ended up doing was taking a 5 gallon bucket of snow (packed to the max) and I dumped it in this huge cooking pot and melted it on the stove. For every 5 gallon bucket of snow I ended up close to 3/4 gallon of water. I stored it all in empty milk jugs. BTW the snow storm is here in full force. We are running out of places to put it. Im am soooooo looking forward to springtime.

Snow Is good

This past week was my first chance to collect some snow here in Indiana. I had gotten used to being able to collect loads of water in the NY winter by just filling up storage containers with snow from the middle of fields away from sidewalks and roads and letting it melt indoors.

I was able to get about 10-12 gallons this time, enough to fill up my watering system for whenever I am out of town. Haven't had to buy water except for a drought period last summer, but it was about 90 cents a gallon. Snow has worked great for me, without any filtering either.

We got a good 0" here and maybe by Thursday I can actually collect it.

Ah why did I not think of this!?!

Back