What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sarr help

Hi i am wondering if i need to put ice cubes on my soon to have vft, sarrs, darlingtonia ,dews , and pings in the summer [the temperates] the temps last year in LA were 100+! in the summer. any ideas that i can use, i have a red tub un used if you need more info. please help me! My purpurea is outside but is in dormancy, when it is growing again it might heat up like my vfts last year.

i live in LA too, i think its fine outdoor. i'm not a pro at this so you should wait for other's opinion on this too. and it was only 100+ for like 3-4 days >_>

Using ice cubes sounds like bad news bears.

Sarracenia and VFTs tend to be fine with high heat so long as they get their water. My recommendation: Find a more shaded area and always make sure your plants have plenty of water. And DON'T use ice cubes! Going from TOO hot to TOO cold will only multiply the effect of any stress your plants are going through. Do what you can to moderate, going from one extreme to another is a no-no.

In the summer:

Shade the pots and provide shade in the late afternoon. Make sure they have plenty of water.

The only one you might consider using ice cubes with would be the Darlingtonia. And don't use tap water to make the ice.

However in LA it is probably totally unnecessary. Just top water in the morning and the evening. Depending on where you live night time outdoor temperatures usually dip down to the 60s even in the summer. That's usually enough to keep Darlingtonia happy.

In Savage Garden the author says that cobra lilys do surprising well on a window sill... an east one I believe.

I can’t speak for the temperate Pings (I have horrible luck with them) or the Darlingtonia, but... If your plants have been properly acclimated, you won’t need to provide shade until temps reach about 105 or so. Your Drosera won’t produce lots of dew, but it will still grow. As mentioned above, proper watering is essaential during the summer. I recommend using big deep pots, which is what I will be using this growing season out here in Palmdale.

Good luck! :)

You should only use ice cubes if you are willing to stand next to the pots and apply a new ice cube every half hour for weeks on end.. ;)

otherwise, what good is one ice cube?
its "cooling effect" will last an hour tops..if that.

dont bother, its not worth it.
the plants will be fine.
they are native to the South East USA..
last time I checked, it gets plenty toasty down there every summer..

Scot

That's too much work and it's not going to be effective and I really doubt they need it. I grew up in Louisiana and there was a stand of S. alata about an hour and a half south of where I lived. It regularly gets up to around 100 degrees there, plus I grew my Sarrs in full sun. Just keep them wet. I grew them on the tray method where I left them standing in an inch or two of water for the entire summer. They loved it.

i live in hacienda hieghts it gets to high 90's in summer in the afternoon and 70's at night

Hi All:

I grow my darlingtonia in a small waterfall that goes into my pond. It seemed to like it a lot. I figured the running water would help keep it cool in the summer.

Back