What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP! Baby Ceph trouble!

I just got this lil guy from Nepenthes lastnight and set it up with a cut off water bottle on top and placed it in the same windowsill im growing my sundews on (see first pic). The Window gets tons of direct sunlight and it's south facing so the heat can build up.

I got home today and saw that the moss around the plant was white (it was bright green lastnight) and i freaked! check out the pics:

I swapped where the nep is on the windowsill and kinda slid everything to the right and had the ceph sitting where the nep used to be:
Window.jpg

That side of the window doesn't even have the screen though, maybe I should of sat it on the opposite side with the screen protecting it somewhat

CEPH4.jpg

CEPH3.jpg

CEPH2.jpg

CEPH1.jpg

Did I kill it? I think it got a bit sunburned, you can see somewhat of a green tint in parts so it might be salvageable, what do you guys think?

Im going to try and baby it back to health in an area of my house with no direct sunlight, on top of this shelf where I have the lucky bamboo and fake orchid plant:

NEP1.jpg

Oh yeah, definitely too much sun. That baby got fried :). Moving it should definitely improve the situation (if its not already doomed). I would also move the small nep from the windowsill. It looks like that is getting fried too. That may be salvageable, but you never know. No worries if it doesn't make it, I'll just make you a new cutting... For future reference though, that window seems like it receives a good amount of light for something like a grow rack. I would look into reducing the amount of light coming in if anything though. Good luck :).

Seems like your Ceph has gone into shock. I've seen this happen several times with my own Cephs. Just recently I moved a pot full of young Hummer's Giants into a terrarium that provided much more light and heat than the plants were accustomed to. All the leaves and pitchers turned brown, but new (and stronger) growth is slowly pushing through.

Oh yeah, definitely too much sun. That baby got fried :). Moving it should definitely improve the situation (if its not already doomed). I would also move the small nep from the windowsill. It looks like that is getting fried too. That may be salvageable, but you never know. No worries if it doesn't make it, I'll just make you a new cutting... For future reference though, that window seems like it receives a good amount of light for something like a grow rack. I would look into reducing the amount of light coming in if anything though. Good luck :).

ya only thing with that window is neighbors can see inside lol. ihope this thing makes it

Seems like your Ceph has gone into shock. I've seen this happen several times with my own Cephs. Just recently I moved a pot full of young Hummer's Giants into a terrarium that provided much more light and heat than the plants were accustomed to. All the leaves and pitchers turned brown, but new (and stronger) growth is slowly pushing through.

how will it take?

what it looks like to me is that it was cooked thats not the way sphagnum or plants for that matter look after getting too much sun. having the bottle over producd a greenhouse effect....poof. cooked. if it ever recovers adjust it to low humidity. its way more worth it.

Alex

That's how mine looks... but that was caused by my wife accidently knocking the tray containing it and U. alpina to the floor.

Well i moved it to the middle shelf on that glass corner stand, left the bottle on top but took the cap off the top to give it some air, the spot its at now wont get nearly as much sun so is that a good thing?

Im lucky to live so close to nepenthes as he's been a huge help getting my collection started :)

Just sucks that this one had to crap out :)

Maybe I should just leave it with out the bottle at all, i'll have to assess it when I get home from work later tonight

well, i dont recommend the bottle on top, humidity is over rated. it holds in too much moisture and can cause molds and other things to form on the plant, espsecially if the plant is shocked it leaves it vullnerable i would think. my cephs are grown in a terrarium but have circulation....yours do look majorly shocked from shipping or from repotting if that was done.
cephs are like darlingtonia in the fact that they hate having their roots disturbed. i would start them off in light shading and gradually move them up if you want them in the window, but you do not need the plastic bottle top....as glider said, it pulled the GH Effect.
as for the sphagnum, i grow my hummer's giant with a sphagnum topping on the mix. but you constantly have to mist the sphagnum to keep it from drying and dying. but when you do water, do it every 3-4 days for actual watering and avoid the crown of the plant as much as possible. i dont recommend the tray method with Cephs, im sure nepenthes might have told you that, because Cephalotus are very susceptible to root rot and hate having waterlogged media. im new to growing cephs but this is just stuff ive thrown together reading a bunch of different things.
hope it helps
--Kris

siccmade,
I would go the extreme of removing all the yellow/white pitchers because they don't do anything for the plant except for being breeding ground for mould. I would also replace the sphagnum with fresh ones. :)

I dont have any fresh sphagnum, Ill have to grow some

So remove the yellow white pitchers and just leave the bare stem? (keeping the ones with green tint there of course)

i still think the main plant is a gonner. the growth points are dead. your only hope for a new plant is it coming back from the roots. just keep waterng it and see how it does.

Alex

I don't want to raise false hope, but I recieved some TC Cephs a while back and I would have bet the house that the one pictured was DEAD! I just kept watering it along with the other ones and about 2 weeks after I was certain of it's mortality, I saw a tiny speck of green. That was about 3 weeks ago. Like a Phoenix from the ashes....

Phoenix.JPG

The rest of my Cephs, mature, leaf cuttings and TC's can be seen here.
So don't give up on it yet...

Back