Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Baby Ceph trouble!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HELP! Baby Ceph trouble!

I just got this lil guy from Nepenthes lastnight and set it up with a cut off water bottle on top and placed it in the same windowsill im growing my sundews on (see first pic). The Window gets tons of direct sunlight and it's south facing so the heat can build up.

I got home today and saw that the moss around the plant was white (it was bright green lastnight) and i freaked! check out the pics:

I swapped where the nep is on the windowsill and kinda slid everything to the right and had the ceph sitting where the nep used to be:

That side of the window doesn't even have the screen though, maybe I should of sat it on the opposite side with the screen protecting it somewhat

Did I kill it? I think it got a bit sunburned, you can see somewhat of a green tint in parts so it might be salvageable, what do you guys think?

Im going to try and baby it back to health in an area of my house with no direct sunlight, on top of this shelf where I have the lucky bamboo and fake orchid plant:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, definitely too much sun. That baby got fried . Moving it should definitely improve the situation (if its not already doomed). I would also move the small nep from the windowsill. It looks like that is getting fried too. That may be salvageable, but you never know. No worries if it doesn't make it, I'll just make you a new cutting... For future reference though, that window seems like it receives a good amount of light for something like a grow rack. I would look into reducing the amount of light coming in if anything though. Good luck .
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like your Ceph has gone into shock. I've seen this happen several times with my own Cephs. Just recently I moved a pot full of young Hummer's Giants into a terrarium that provided much more light and heat than the plants were accustomed to. All the leaves and pitchers turned brown, but new (and stronger) growth is slowly pushing through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepenthes View Post
    Oh yeah, definitely too much sun. That baby got fried . Moving it should definitely improve the situation (if its not already doomed). I would also move the small nep from the windowsill. It looks like that is getting fried too. That may be salvageable, but you never know. No worries if it doesn't make it, I'll just make you a new cutting... For future reference though, that window seems like it receives a good amount of light for something like a grow rack. I would look into reducing the amount of light coming in if anything though. Good luck .
    ya only thing with that window is neighbors can see inside lol. ihope this thing makes it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LLeopardGGecko View Post
    Seems like your Ceph has gone into shock. I've seen this happen several times with my own Cephs. Just recently I moved a pot full of young Hummer's Giants into a terrarium that provided much more light and heat than the plants were accustomed to. All the leaves and pitchers turned brown, but new (and stronger) growth is slowly pushing through.
    how will it take?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what it looks like to me is that it was cooked thats not the way sphagnum or plants for that matter look after getting too much sun. having the bottle over producd a greenhouse effect....poof. cooked. if it ever recovers adjust it to low humidity. its way more worth it.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's how mine looks... but that was caused by my wife accidently knocking the tray containing it and U. alpina to the floor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i moved it to the middle shelf on that glass corner stand, left the bottle on top but took the cap off the top to give it some air, the spot its at now wont get nearly as much sun so is that a good thing?

Im lucky to live so close to nepenthes as he's been a huge help getting my collection started

Just sucks that this one had to crap out

Maybe I should just leave it with out the bottle at all, i'll have to assess it when I get home from work later tonight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast