User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Struggling Cephalotus...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i water my ceph when the very top of the soil is dry. then i pour water around the plant mass till it drains from the bottom.

on a side note. is that spectabilis x ventricosa? i love it! the red and black are awesome. its my college team colors another reason i bought one!

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High humidity is perfectly fine, as long as you have plenty of air circulation to go with it. I doubt your humidity is too high, since your terrarium looks very open. My humidity stays very high, but I've got the air circulation going on so it's not a liability. Air circulation, whether the humidity is high or low, is important for all plants, but especially if it's high. More light couldn't hurt.

It's definitely too wet. Treat it like a Nepenthes. No need for a tray of water (not that you can't do that, but IMO they do better without it and there's less risk of root rot. If you do this, let it go dry for 3 or 4 days before refilling a quarter inch), and it's better to underwater this plant than over water it. What media is it in? Is the media old? Could the moss be clogging the top, preventing air circulation within the media?

This is also a perfect example of why I like clay pots for Cephalotus. It increases air circulation within the media (as well as ambient humidity!), and wicks water away from the media so it doesn't stay soggy.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me, I would pull the mature winter leaves and begin anew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest, like others, that the media is too wet. Unfortunatley I am an expert at this having rotted many little cephs.. .
    If I were you I would dry out the media and increase air flow. I use small computer fans ain tanks and larger ones for grow racks. This seems to help cephs a lot
    All proofs inevitably lead to propositions that have no proof. All things are known because we want to believe in them.

My Growlist updated with available trades and pictures - PM if interested

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CP30 View Post
    Unfortunatley I am an expert at this
    What a tragedy, being an expert at something... lol.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup! media seems too wet and IMO too heavy. I would definately repot....go light on the media. My media is insanely light...but the ceph atleast grows fine. I use like 50% perlite, 40% peat, 10% bark. very very open and this is apparent as water flows out of the drainage holes within like 10 secs of me watering the plant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12