Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: new to sarracenia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new to sarracenia

I'm new to carnivorous plants and recently bought a couple of sarracenia rhizome divisions. I got them a little less than a month ago and went ahead and potted them up. I had them sitting next to a window getting low light. When the weather warmed a bit ( it approached seventy once) I put them outside but then the weather plunged again (down to like 20 at night). I didn't want to kill them since they weren't winterized so I brought them back into the house. This time I put them under the fluorescents where I have my neps and they get about 15 to16 hours of light. Recently I have noticed that they are putting up flower buds. I'm thinking that its a bit early for this to be happening even if they were all early bloomers like flavas which I know at least one isn't. Now I don't know when to put them back outside since I have probably thrown them out of cycle. Should I just do it when danger of frost is over or wait till its warmer. I really don't want to lose the flowers or plants by getting them to cold now that they've started growing again. I also don't want to keep the plants inside when the light outside is so much better. Any Suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds normal to me. i have flower stalks on my rubra and 2 leucophylla. the tallest stalk is about 6 inches tall right now. just keep them nice and toasty inside as the cold may make the flower abort.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess looking around on the internet at what other people growing sarracenia have said its not really that early. However If I wanted to grow them outside in my region they probably wouldn't wake up for another month or so. So I'll probably keep them inside for a month and them transition them back outside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd keep them in too for the time being. The weathers just warming up here to a low of 5C at night and day temps of over 13C so my sarrs are just starting to get growing again.