What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia waking up?

pedersonplants

The Obsessive Gardener
Shouldnt' Sarracenia be waking up about now. I kept them in a refrigerator for 4 months.

Got them out 6 weeks ago--still no sign of growth.

If I've lost these, its my last try and worst results.

I need tips on finding out if these are even alive anymore or if I am waiting for dead plants to suddenly spring to life.

If they are firm and have color, they are still alive. You're being impatient. I live in Georgia and mine haven't started growing again, so I'm sure they will take longer in Michigan.

^True. Patience is key, but any time now... My oreo is already sending up a flower and a new pitcher, while my purp has a little purple bump coming up from its rhizome. All in good time, my dear... all in good time. :)

EDIT: I guess if you’re desperate, you could check the rhizomes... Or even repot while you’re at it...

I'm going to check them. This is my 3rd time trying.

NOTE: THey are INSIDE in a warm terrarium. I repotted them after giving them a 4 month dormancy in the refrigerator.

I'll check them and if they are rotted or something, I GIVE UP.

My utricularias have bloomed their heads off all winter. I'll stick with what grows well for me.

Some of my Sarrs are putting up flowers stalks; some are not.

And all of mine have been indoors in cold, dark windows all winter.

Sarrs are just different. Different species and different ages...

I would give yours more light and some slow gentle warmth to "wake 'em up".

You just don't want to shock them with sudden heat after being in the 'fridge for four months.

Refrigerating your plants increases the probability of fungal growth. I don't live in your climate, but I believe that your plants will do better without refrigeration.

cant you put it outside? why in a terrarium?

They do fine in a fridge if just kept barely moist and exposed. Then they should be moved to a slightly warmer, more lit place, until the ovenight lows are forecasted to be consistently above freezing. Then they can be put outside, under a porch or a northern exposure until they are acclimated to being outside.

Could they have gone from fridge to inside of a terrarium too quickly? This is my first winter using the fridge and I put them at the south window for a bit and then some went under lights, but no tanks involved. I didn't want to just toss them straight into bright warmth right away.

Some are just starting to pitcher and one is flowering.

It is a cool terrarium because it is covered with reptile screen cover just to keep my pet birds out.

I had really hoped to have these for a show but didn't get the timing right. Didn't reallize how long it would take to bring these out of dormancy.

my oreo's awake and new pitcher's almost 5" tall havnt opened up yet though, but my dana's delight still looks the same.

Just replanted them in pure spaghum Moss

I just pulled everything up. Out of 7 pots, 2 got thrown out. Rest were repotted into pure sphagnum moss from New Zealand.

I'll start putting the lights over them about 6 hours a day tomorrow and work up to about 12.

If I lose these, I'll just pick up some pots of those "tissue cultured" versions that everyone looks down on. If I wind up having to treat them as annuals anyway, it really doesn't matter.

Yeah, my "Dana's Delight" hasn't started to produce new pitchers yet, but I know it's alive.

I don't think there's anything wrong with tissue cultured plants within reason, like cultivars that have to be produced vegetatively. However I do disagree with 1 million plants produced from a single clone of a pure species. I'm a big advocate of seed grown plants whenever possible.

Sometimes those readily available TC plants are the only way to get that CP fix that we all sometimes get. My only problem with them is that there aren't more species available-well, that and the conditions that they tend to be kept in.

Are Danas slow to wake up in general? Mine is still in the garage and probably will be for a bit but it seems that many are saying that theirs are still snoozing.

Mine were outside all year except when temps dropped below 20 overnight.
My Catesbei has opened two pitchers and my leucos are showing flower buds.
Purps aren't doing anything yet, but they are always slow.
Almost everything else is starting to show new growth.

Everything has it's own time. When it's ready, and conditions are right, it will wake up.

Instead of the fridge, I would probably have kept them in the garage.

If you have purps, they are hardy in your area. Keep them outside next time.

Wish I had a garage. Life would be much easier.:-))

A few people wondered if it might harm the plants by going from the fridge directly, instantly, to a warm room indoors or a warm terrarium.

I can say with 100% confidance that is a complete non-issue..

Going directly to the warmth from the fridge does not harm the plants at all..
they can handle t just fne.
there is no "shock" whatsoever.
I know this for a fact because I have been doing it for 15 years.
35 to 70 degrees isnt a big deal...that happens in one day outdoors naturally all the time,
especially this time of year

If the plants died, it was not because of that sudden transition, it was something else.

Scot

I pulled mine out of the fridge about a month ago, all are growing flower spikes. They are in a south and west window.

Back