What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

shipping preparations

if i were to package up a sarr to send to a friend of mine in california(or anywhere), would it be better to just send the whole thing as is(maybe 7" tall), or would cutting off the pitchers and just send the rhyzome be best? not that i plan to anytime soon, but i think these will make a great house warming gift.:crazy:

~b

Most people I've traded with just send the roots and the rhizome; especially if it is right before the growing season since the Sarracenia will start producing new pitchers as the season progresses. It's also considerably cheaper to just send it that way as opposed to bigger boxes and more weight.

xvart.

Funny you should ask. I was wondering the same thing, and then decided sending just a rhyzome just didn't have the same effect as a pitchering plant. So I photographed my packing, step by step. This should give you some ideas.

One Sarr, carefully re-potted into plastic shipping container.
DSCI0503.jpg

DSCI0504.jpg

Used soldering iron to melt slot, then cut slit to put over pitcher base to hold soil in place.
DSCI0506.jpg

Note it's on upside down.
DSCI0507.jpg

Second lid with hole (cut with soldering iron) to fit over pitcher(s) taped to tube.
DSCI0508.jpg

Second lid and protective tube snaped on container over upside down lid.
DSCI0509.jpg

DSCI0510.jpg

Outer tube to place over entire plant. (both tubes made to custom fit from a priority flat mail mailer)
DSCI0512.jpg

DSCI0513.jpg

Bottom piece ready to slide under and tape on outer tube, top lid ready to trim to size.
DSCI0514.jpg

Packing added between tubes to stablize.
DSCI0515.jpg

Packed into a Priority mail 'shoe box shipper', with lid taped on and ready to ship.
DSCI0516.jpg

Total weight was 9.6 oz., well under the 1lb minimum shipping cost. The Sarr arrived in PERFECT shape.

wow, that answers that quite clearly for the "whole plant" method.
thanks!
~b

:applause: Well done!

Some people also use the triangular priority boxes that you can get. Cuts out some of the work, but the method pictured above is perhaps even more stable.

During this time of the year I usally ship the plant bare rooted wraped good in moss. Theres really no down side this time of the year. It's low weight and what ever living leaves the plant has are protected by the moss and bag it's packed in.

I trim the plant to just fit the package. If all I have is one of the small Priority boxes then I usually cut the leaves down to 4" or so. If I have one of the larger boxes then I keep as much leaf as I can (up to and including the whole leaf depending on the size of the plant.)

The way I figure it, any green left on the plant is that much more photosynthetic material to allow the plant to recover.

:-D

Back