What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower Count '08

I have 3, a Flava, A lueco and a not sure which!

"Self" pollinated Sarracenia generally produce weak seed sets and less vigorous offspring.

I have never noticed this. Where is this info from?

I have read that same information previously. The last time I read it was on this site, if I remember correctly. Look in the articles section for an article about pollinating Sarracenia flowers by Brooks Garcia. I *think* it was in there.

Will

Ok I read carefully through Brooks article on the forum and this is the only reference I found about "selfing" goes like this:

Reportedly, Sarracenias do not "self" very well for some reason but with multiple applications of pollen you should get good seed set.

Reportedly.

Granted, I am no breeder and have minimal observation on the subject, but from what I have seen there is no lack of seed production or viabilty of seeds after selfing.

Does anyone have any real observations to back up the claim that selfed plants do not set seed well or have strong offspring?

I backcrossed a leucophylla and the seeds sprouted fine.

My Alata's put up two flowers, but that's it so far. I didn't see anybody else with Alata, though...

I've been gone from the forums for awhile.. :-( But I'm back now and psyched for spring!
I counted 158 buds with 3 open flava flowers last weekend as I trimmed everything back and made it all purty.

And - GREAT pics, RCO!! Beautiful flowers!

Do you think there will be a lot of seeds in the trade forum later on in the year?

yes, there usually is.

Can I just cross any two plants I have like Neps?

Yes you can.

Although with neps, there are male and female flowers, unlike sarracenia.

Would it be considered a self-cross if 2 Alata divisions from the same mother plant were crossed with eachother? (they are geneticly the same)

Might be a dumb question but I'm not sure about this!

Would it be considered a self-cross if 2 Alata divisions from the same mother plant were crossed with eachother? (they are geneticly the same)

Might be a dumb question but I'm not sure about this!

Yes, I think so. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong...)

Those are some nice flowers, RCO. Anyone have any more pictures?

Right now, I see buds on the following:

S. rubra gulfensis "yellow"
S. rubra gulfensis
S. rubra wherryi
S. minor "Okee Giant"
S. flava
S. leucophylla
S. alata

And a bunch of various hybrids (S. x moorei, Dana's Delight, etc.)

Yahoo! Today's count brings me up to 106 flowers. My first time breaking the 100 barrier.

Starting to see the first pitchers inflate now! Aaaaah spring. :)

4 - S. flava
5 - S. leucophylla #1
6 - S. leucophylla #2 *
6 - S. 'Tarnok'
2 - S. "Dana's Delight"
2 - S. minor "Okee Giant" *
1 - S. oreophila "Sand Mountain #2" *
1 - S. rosea *

* denotes updates since last post.

I have never noticed this. Where is this info from?

Inbreeding, outbreeding, and heterosis in the yellow pitcher plant, Sarracenia flava (Sarraceniaceae), in Virginia
Philip M. Sheridan and David N. Karowe American Journal of Botany. 2000;87:1628-1633

Self-pollination resulted in significantly lower offspring quantity and quality. Total seed number and total seed mass for self-pollinated capsules were approximately one-fourth that of outcrossed capsules. Germination, survivorship, and growth over 5 yr were also significantly lower for offspring from self-pollinated capsules. Together, these results suggest strong inbreeding depression in this species.

Relative to offspring from intrasite crosses, offspring from intersite crosses were significantly larger after 5 yr of growth. This suggests that restoration efforts for Virginia S. flava will be most successful when plants from multiple sites are used.

0.... theyve beenoutside for maybe 2 weeks....and it froze 2 nights ago....so no flowers this year :( and after 3 years of waiting too....

Alex

I noticed a rubra bud today

Well, I checked the Sarrs yesterday and I have the following buds (recap of previous posts plus new buds):

S. rubra gulfensis "yellow"
S. rubra gulfensis
S. rubra wherryi
S. rubra
S. minor "Okee Giant"
S. flava
S. flava maxima
S. flava rugelli
S. leucophylla
S. alata
S. alata "Maroon Throat"
S. x moorei