User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 heliamphora pics (large file size)

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a cultivar, it's a grex. You can't have five different clones and call them all by the same epithet. You can have a cultivar group, but this is not that. It's confusing when people put single quotation marks around the epithet, or even worse flat out call it a cultivar. I'm guilty of that, myself! The cultivar system for CP's is a joke (It seems as if you're Dionaea looks particularly good one year, it can be registered as a cultivar!), and we don't even HAVE a registry for greges.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    geeze.... I had to go to the FAQ to see what a grex is, and im not really sure i know now LOL

I'm still not clear on what is the diff between a grex and a cultivar group and how is one suppose to properly identify these different flavors

please clarify

well then I'll unofficially name my specific cultivar as H. 'Dave's Tequila Sunrise' in honor of the person who originally gave it to me hehehehehehe

j/k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just all of the offspring between two different species or hybrids (or a species and a hybrid).

A cultivar group is just different cultivars that share similar traits. If you had five different cultivars of Petunia with yellow flowers and variegated leaves, yet they were distinctive enough to be separate cultivars, that could be a cultivar group.

Right now, we have two schools of though. Technically, if you have a plant that's stable which happens to meet the description of a cultivar, then you can call it by the cultivar's name. There are plants that loom EXACTLY like D. 'Big Mouth' at Wal-mart, and technically you can call them D. 'Big Mouth'. Then there are people, like myself, that think that's stupid. In my opinion, if a plant is not genetically identical to the cultivar, then it is not that cultivar.

They want to make a grex registry for Nepenthes. I think it's great. Do it with Sarracenia, too. We'll be more respectable, like orchid growers. Some want to have an "Expert" panel, but I think that's a bad idea for several reason, not to mention pretentious. Profoundly so.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will use an example from the orchid world. There is a hybrid cannled Colm. Wildcatt Now that is the grex. Because wildcatt is the name given to that particular cross used to make wildcatt. Now it is further broken down to cultivars of that particular grex. My plant is Colm. Wildcatt 'Ocelot' There are several different Wildcatts on the market. Many different cultivars.

Clint if I have that wrong let me know. I happen to agree with Clint. In order to be that cultivar it has to be geneticaly identical. Being TCed or a cutting of that plant.

The one problem that exists in the orchid world is the taxonimists want to reclassify orchids. So the example I use earlier with Colm is not Colm anymore because one of the plants got reclassified. Good thing with nepenthes though is there is only one nepenthes. LOL
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... I don't think they have to be from the same grex, or even the same species, but I could be wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    I'll unofficially name my specific cultivar as H. 'Dave's Tequila Sunrise' in honor of the person who originally gave it to me hehehehehehe
    j/k

I am honored. I'll go change the labels on mine right now.

Those pitchers are really looking good; nice red color!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    confusing... so H. Tequila should not be in quotes cause it is a grex

and using my example the correct way to say it as a cultivar would be:

H. Tequila 'Dave's Tequila Sunrise" (prob cant use tequila twice Im guessing)

or

H. (AxB) 'Dave's Tequila Sunrise'

so all grex's actually cultivated complex/simple hybrids which may or may not include "sub" cultivars?

but do the members of a grex all have to originate from the same exact genetic stock?

after reading up a little I think I have the jist of it all, but quantum mechanics seems much easier to me LOL...

YW Dave, heck why dont we, you deserve it and it is a beautiful errrr cultivar LOL

Av
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 03-22-2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: correct spelling as usual

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IF it WAS a cultivar, and was registered, you could do that (dunno about using Tequila twice) but it's not.

I don't know what you mean by "sub cultivar". Every seedling resulting from a hybrid cross is considered part of the grex, no matter how weak or ugly they are.

You mention the same stock. I don't know what you mean by that. Do you mean if you crossed two plants, then I crossed the same two clones , would the be the same grex? I think so. If I crossed the same species/hybrids, but with different origins and genes, would they be called the same grex? I don't know. I'm new to this, too. I think if you, or I, or anyone else reproduced the hybrids EP did, they would be called the same thing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast