What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About Water (RO)

I bought RO (Reverse Osmosis) system for my cp's.When i measure the ppm with my tds meter its between 004 and 007 range. is it enough or not?

yep, that's good! Likely the only way you could get less than that out of RO would be to add a DI stage.. But that is plenty...

Welcome to TerraForums!!
Andrew

without Di , there will be problem?

No. Your water is absolutely fine. DI will take it down to zero.. but that's not needed... The harder the water you start with, the harder your water is coming out the RO system (typically) so apparently my water is harder than yours.. mine comes about 9-17ppm. I used that for years and just recently started using DI... Mainly because I don't like the hard water showing up on the g/h walls from the fogger :p

So to sum all that up... you're fine and don't need anything else :)
Andrew

Thanks for your help..:p

is the water produced by a 2 stage unit god for droseras....i know nothing about ro systems and i decided to stop pay for distilated water...so i'm looking for something small, nonpermanent and inexpensive sistem.....i need no more than 5 galons for day
thanks for any sugestions!

2 stage unit? like some type of brita filter or something? Likely it is not going to work. Those removed the chlorine and such, but the TDS (the minerals) won't be removed... That's what the membrane on the RO system does.
Andrew

it's a Kent for aquariums

i had a feeling that is not going to be good enough ....any sugestions for a good, inexpensive and nonpermanent one?

To my understanding, hard water actually contains more TDS than say, soft water.

More salt and more calcium.

So wouldn't a "softer" water be preferable for our CP's?? Whether distilled or RO were the process?

I too, have been contemplating purchasing an under-the-sink RO system. Either a 5-stage or 6-stage system. I'm tired of hauling water from the grocery store. Currently my tap water is 300TDS according to my meter.

Andrew, how difficult is it to install a full RO system? I have NO plumbing skills, nor do I know anyone with competent plumbing skills. It's in an apartment so I can't mess-up the installation and I'm not informing the bone-head landlord either. Likewise, how difficult would they be to un-install when moving elsewhere?? Is installing or un-installing destructive to your fixtures or drain system?

Thanx! :hail:

fry,

if you buy the ro unit, it will come with all the accessories needed to install it(except screw driver). the inlet and drain hose is connected via a saddle valve, the inlet just clamps onto the water pipe(cold water, dont use hot!). It is seriously a 5 minute install IF you have a water source and drain near by.

They can also be uninstalled easily by either removing the 1/4" hose and shutting off the saddle valve and leave it there, it wont leak and a replacement is like $3, if that, or replace the source pipe you pierced with the saddle valve. for the drain, remove the saddle clamp and seal the hole with water proof tape.

~b

Thanks Billy,

Sounds like you know your stuff, plumbing-wise. ;)

I forgot to ask about the faucet. I wonder if the RO faucet would fit into the mount where that little useless plastic sprayer is....... ??? (I never use that darn thing...)

Yeah, they're easy. I dunno about 5 mins though :p If you don't want to do anything to your plumming... you can pick up an adapter and hook the water up through an outdoor faucet.. then just have the brine (junk) water go to a tree or something.

That's what I do :p I use a 5 gallon bucket. Ghetto.

Back