What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judith Hindle or Daina's Delight?

bluebird

Rub my belly!
I'm making a minibog so far it's going well I've decided on all the plants, but I'm not sure which pitcher to get I only have enough room for one pitcher plant and both Judith Hindle and Daina's Delight kinda look the same both looks very nice so my question what are the differences of the two plants also how long are these pitchers roots are?

Thanks alot for the help with this.

Dana's Delight, the parentage is [leucophylla*"willisii"]

index.4.jpg

Judith Hindle, the parentage is (leucophylla*flava rugelii)*purpurea)"chipola"

100_5766.jpg

Both are good starter plants. Both send up big pitchers in the fall. The roots can get over 1' long with the right conditions.

I though Judith Hindle was (flava var. rugelii x purpurea Chipola) x leucophylla?

Or am talking rubbish? :jester:

I though Judith Hindle was (flava var. rugelii x purpurea Chipola) x leucophylla?

Or am talking rubbish? :jester:

I got that from Bob Ziemer's photofinder website. I am unsure of the parentage that is just what it said!

I got that from Bob Ziemer's photofinder website. I am unsure of the parentage that is just what it said!

It says the parentage in The Savage Garden too. I forget what that book says it is though.

Bluebird -

I would go with whichever one you like more. Both are upright species, but S. 'Dana's Delight' has brilliant red and white patterning on taller(over 2 feet), narrower leaves (more like its leucophylla parent), whereas S. 'Judith Hindle' is slightly shorter (up to 18 inches), wider leaves with a more sundued coloring. Both will grow equally well, given the right conditions, so let your 'landscaping eye' make the decision for you!

Mike

Thanks everyone for the help I chose to get the Judith hindle for this minibog and next year I hope to do a inground bog so I'll put a daina's delight in that one.

A typo's crept in!

It's 'Dana's Delight'.

Judith Hindle is an F2
Savage garden gives it as [(p x f) x l] x self, which sounds about right

Alexis, Dana's Delight/Daina's Delight, I'm still not sure...rumour has it that it was supposed to be Daina's, but was mis-spelt Dana's when published....

Really? I've never heard it called anything but Dana's until this thread!

Really? I've never heard it called anything but Dana's until this thread!

Refer to this post/thread on the ICPS board were there has been some discussion on this very topic.

Thanks!

Back