Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't laugh...

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't laugh...

One would think that by now that I would have had American pitcher plant flowers. Last year I had an S. alata send up a scape, but the plant died. But this spring, the result of a recent trade, I have gotten / am getting 2 S. catesbei flowers, 2 S. Scarlet Belle, and of all things - a cobra lily.

What am I supposed to do to hand pollinate the 2 Scarlet Belles? And I don't suppose that I can do anything with the cobra lily without another one, right? Can't mix plant parts with a Saracenia?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most likely the 'Scarlet Belle' need to be propagated vegetatively (e.g. divisions, cuttings or tissue culture) in order to keep their unique characteristics. You can hand pollinate but the offspring most likely will not be true 'Scarlet Belle'

The Darlingtonia you might be in luck with because mine is flowering also. We can try a pollen exchange via mail if the flowers are ready within a reasonable time frame.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cobra lily scape just emerged this week, so I guess it will a few days (?)... but yeah, that would be great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Most likely the 'Scarlet Belle' need to be propagated vegetatively (e.g. divisions, cuttings or tissue culture) in order to keep their unique characteristics. You can hand pollinate but the offspring most likely will not be true 'Scarlet Belle'
    not "most likely will not be true 'Scarlet Belle'"
    but absolutely, 100%, without any question whatsoever will NOT be 'Scarlet Belle'!

cultivars can only be propagated vegetatively in order to be considered the same cultivar.
    anything from seed will not be the same cultivar..even if a plant from seed looks the same, it still cant be called the same cultivar name.

Scot

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But you can still pollinate and get seed and plants.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and AFAIK. you can self pollinate darlingtonia. congrats jim!

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    cultivars can only be propagated vegetatively in order to be considered the same cultivar.
    anything from seed will not be the same cultivar..even if a plant from seed looks the same, it still cant be called the same cultivar name.

Scot
    That's not entirely true. It depends on the cultivar. For instance the cultivar Drosera rotundifolia 'Charles Darwin' can be reproduced via self-pollinated seeds and retain its cultivar status and characteristics (namely not requiring dormancy in this case). You have to look at the what the cultivar registration says, and also whether or not the plant has be patented or trademarked as in the case of S. 'Cobra's Nest'. Some say "propagate vegetatively or by tissue culture", some also say "propagate vegetatively, by tissue culture or by seed."

And it has always been a matter of controversy since the ICRA rules are based on descriptions and do not require a sample of the plant or plants being registered. Due to this "loophole" it is possible to call plants with identical characteristics under the registered cultivar name. It all depends on how vague or specific the description is.

Hopefully this will change as the technique of genetic barcoding is being applied to plants.

In regards to S. 'Scarlet Belle':

Older pitchers can be removed to stimulate new growth and to maintain the plant’s esthetic balance. Reproduction should be done only vegetatively, i.e., by tissue culture, rhizome division, and leaf cuttings (if it works!).
    http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn..._27.html#belle

Quote Originally Posted by jimscott
    The cobra lily scape just emerged this week, so I guess it will a few days (?)... but yeah, that would be great!
    Jim - even better luck because mine just started this week too. Yes, you can self-pollinate them by hand but again the flowers are designed to reduce the chances of self-pollination. So you'd probably get a better seed set and more vigorous plants by cross pollinating.

carnivorus plant collector
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All:
    Congratulations on your flower buds Jimscott!!!.
    I checked my Tarnok the other day (its in my moms semi-heated garage) and it has a flower bud!!!. Im not sure how old the plant is though. Im afraid to take it outside because it might freeze. Its still to cold here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast