What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why I like the Cephalotus so much...

Cindy

Staff member
The teeth! Next to N. hamata which I can't grow well here. These comes close. Shh...don't let my Cephs know...

red_ceph_teeth.jpg

The colour! And the pattern under the lid which changes from pitcher to pitcher.

red_cephR.jpg

red_ceph.jpg

red_cephL.jpg

Heck yeah cephs are awesome. I really like yours because it looks just like one of mine. I always thought it looked like those sarlacks from star wars at first.

Dude the teath are the best thats also why i like Cephs alot and All the Neps with teeth look awsome

Nice pics there Cindy ! I love those teeth.

And this is why I like sweet cameras and good photographers! Great photos, Cindy. I never paid attention to the design under the lid. Is there a significant difference in design or just various differences of the two large stripes and the two small stripes/spots on the outside? None of my Cephalotus plants are large enough to observe this.

It would be sweet if the designs were all totally different; like, if there was a swirly under one? lol.

xvart.

Excellent photos!

On my different Cephalotus plants, the designs all look similar, if not the same.

Yes, very nice looking plants there!
They look quite happy. Your doing a great job!
I love growing them too. Just can't get enough of em!
JMatt

By coincidence I recently took this photo which I posted at our Canadian forum located

here.

cephteeth.jpg

Cindy and Curling guy, GREAT cephs and GREAT photos!!

Those are really rad. Where can I obtain one of those? :O

Cool, curlingguy! Did you count if there are 24 teeth? :-O

Here's some more photos of a ceph trap......notice the overlaying collar visible in second photo..partially down the trap......if you are a bug and fall in...and successfully climb the wall up to this collar......how do you get past it........can't climb on it upside down!!

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

I really like the all-green Ceph.
beatingheart.gif

Mine are half green and half burgundy.

I wonder what purpose the cleft lip of the lid serves? I notice this as a pitcher develops and the lid "pops" open............

Wow, they look very nice, any advice besides they can't be waterlogged and need a cold period?

They don't need a cold period.

13 days later...notice that the pitcher at the bottom right hand corner is fully developed and open.

With flash
red_ceph_fl.jpg

Without flash
red_ceph_wofl.jpg

Nice! I love Cephalotus too. My favorite carnivorous plant, and one of the few I've had great success with in low humidity in a windowsill in Wisconsin. I give mine a cold period of about 55F all winter, since, well, it's Wisconsin and cold outside and it's in the window! So, it's the twilight zone between the house temps and outside. My pitchers are more deep pink then red, and attracted three or four wasps in the house at once with a ton of nectar it suddenly made, along with 3 adult pitchers and apparently a flower stalk after its little dormancy.

Oh, I love the teeth too, and that wicked design under the hood! Beautiful!

Feed me, Seymore, and feed me now!

Seriously, if someone were to remake "Little Shop of Horrors", wouldn't the new plant look alot like a Cephalotus?

Not really my area of expertise, but looking at it from a purely mechanical point of view, the "teeth" form a loadbearing arch. The shape of this arch causes the compression load from the insects weight to be distributed to the base of the arch aka the abutment where it is then dissipated. This in turn also reduces the potential destructive tensile forces which would could otherwise cause buckling and snapping of the peristome region.

The Ribs of the ceph are also mechanical load bearing structures. In this case the tension and compression forces are being dissipated over a greater area. This reduces the unit loading and increases the cephs ability to maintain integrity

hehehehe... Im bored :p

Back