User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with planting Darlingtonia on a stream.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But how to keep it from being swept away? Mine took a swim in 3" of rain. Unless one keeps it in some sort of cage. it'll be uprooted. Maybe that can be done - an anchored cage.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BUT your stream is a real stream. Mine is a trickle at best. Even during high storms it's not a real stream.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine was an innocent looking, lazy watercourse that turned into a raging river when the remnants of a hurricane came through. Th plants in BobZ's site were established, rooted, in that environment. Anything we put in won't be established. I would strongly urge some sort of cage that won't go anywhere when a major rainstorm comes by. And you know you will have them, down there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try some big pots of sphagnum, weighted down with plenty of rocks at the bottom.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okie dokie. I took these pics right after planting the large ones. I had already cut off all of the pitchers of the smaller ones, which is why you can't really see them. After this photo was taken I cut off the large pitchers. I did this so wind/rain wouldn't knock them over before they had a chance to root (small root systems). This is before I put dried LFS in all of the cracks in the rock work and added live lfs on top.

I didn't test the rocks. I just used what was in the area. The water flowing over the rocks never bothered the Sphagnum, so I hope it won't bother the plants. I know it's not quite the same thing :P In the "Flower bed" I used ten gallons of media. On one side (the top in this picture I planted six plants directly in the ground, and only added some rocks at the edge to keep the freshly disturbed media from eroding. I used a total of 15 cu. L. or so of died LFS in the cracks in the rock and on top of the media, and a few gallons of live LFS on top. It's supposed to rain 2 inches today. We'll see how that goes.

I'll post pics later of it with the moss, and again later this summer when the plants have their growth in. Assuming they'll make it that long. I chose to not use pots because I really am hoping to let them do their own thing and spread (at which point I'll remove the rocks at the top, keeping them in the "garden"). Wish me luck. No one can say I didn't try lol. In the heat of the summer I'd like to take some temperature measurements at soul surface level, at foliage level, at the root zone, and compare those temperatures to a normal sized pot sitting in water in full sun, as the plants would have ordinarily been grown.

There are about 40-45 individual plants. Many of the small ones are in clumps and could not be separated. Counting the clumps as single plants (which I don't), and excluding plants coming from stolons, I think I counted 31.

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior Nitecrawler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's really cool, man. Hopefully that works out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also place rocks as close to the individual plants as possible to help keep them in place when the stream rises significantly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sweet Clint I hope it works out for ya!
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast