What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24 Cent "Acid brush" For Pollinating

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
A customer came to my line to buy an acid brush and it only cost 24 cents. It came from the plumbing section. It's about 3/8" wide. Whaddya think of it as a tool to hand pollinate Sarracenias?

I don't see why not. Some bumblebees are bigger than 3/8" and they get into the flowers without problem. You can always trim some of the bristles to make it thinner.

My thoughts exactly! Darlingtonia soon to open up. Pollen on the way to the East Coast?

Yup, just clipped some anthers and will get in the mail tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thought it got lost in the mail! My flower is still unopened, with the bud facing down.

Just back from the PO. Maybe Monday you should get it. Even though the flower opened last week the pollen took a while to ripen. I may have been off a day or two either way but it should either ripen in time or remain viable for a few weeks in the refrigerator.

Do the flowers hang down when open or do they unfurl upwards? I can see the purple flower bulging out.

When it first starting coming up it the point or tip of the bud was almost perpendicular to the ground. The way a Sarracenia flower is after it has been sucessfully pollinated. Now it's hanging down like a lantern or how a Sarracenia flower looks before it is pollinated.

So it seems as it opens it hangs down.

Back