What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sudden growth point death!

Ant

Your one and only pest!
The growth point on my purp died when it dried out in the sun and I didn't notice. It was dry for a good time but, the roots all look healthy, What should I do? The roots are currently half way submerged it water and the other half is in the air. Will it grow a new point or is my plant doomed? :-(

What do you mean by "the growth point"? You mean a new pitcher that was forming?
If your talking about a new pitcher, it's going to be fine.

If it dried out in the sun like you said, then you just solved your own problem. Your plant is not "doomed" from one itty bitty brown spot. Just water it back up and it will be fine.

I know that we all love our plants and will go to great extents to keep them alive, but the truth is, it's a plant, not a 1/16 of an inch thick pane of glass. Don't panic over one small brown pitcher. Plants heal themselves up pretty quickly from any injuries, and one little thing wrong won't set them on a one way trip to hell.
-Matt

P.S: Oh yeah, if the roots look healthy, thats the first thing that you're doing wrong. You shouldn't be taking the plant out of the pot to look at the roots in the first place. It will only make anything that could potentially be wrong with it worse.
Just leave it alone and it will be ok.

As implied above, it is likely that the plant just reacted to a change of environment. Wait it out for new growth.

Speaking of this, when I got back from vacation less than a week ago, something ate off! Now I'm here sitting, waiting for my venosa to make new beautiful pitchers when all the other pitcher are from 1. dormancy, 2. whatever was nibbling on it nibbled the new pitchers (which were the biggest) and 3. a small, old pitcher is dying, it looks...poorly right now. -sigh-

So it will grow a new growth piont right off the rhimozome? How long will it take?

So it will grow a new growth piont right off the rhimozome? How long will it take?

Um, I would say, like 5-10 days? Idk when the w/e is was ate it, but from Saturday to today is about 5 days and it looked freshly eaten. I'm checking every day for a new pitcher. The pitcher itself takes like, idk, more than a week?

Do you just mean a single individual pitcher has gone brown?

NO! the entire growth piont is dead. No growth what so ever. The piont is gone.

i would say just plant it and leave it alone, as long as the rhyzome is intact and there are roots, it will regrow. my dog ripped mine apart and its starting to show new growth points, in fact, more than before!

it only took about a week for it to show a sprout.

~b

Cut off any brown bits and hopefully you'll have a white bit left. Then wait for it to regrow, although there's the chance it might only sprout a few green bits and not pitcher properly until 2009.

Purps are easy to get hold of. Just buy another.

I will wait and see what come from it.

Back