Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus tips?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    I've never seen any... Maybe it is being kept too wet as others above have suggested. Just let it dry out more between waterings. Probably fungus gnats.
    I'm trying to right now when I noticed that the soil was actually a bet too wet. I'm not sure where it could've come from, but I could've sworn I saw it the day I got it, but I'm not sure.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since this post talks a little about die back and coming back from roots or off-shoots I thought I would share these pictures. I've mentioned a few times around here about my first typical Cephalotus and how I moved it to a top shelf with no lights while water some of my other plants and forgot about it, denying it light for several days. All the growth pretty much halted and died, but it started growing back from the roots, which you can see as the new green growth is pushing through the dead brown stuff. It seems some of the previous growth is still hanging on and very pale or brownish, but still alive.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    xvart, thanks for the photo. A picture speaks a thousand words.

Most growers would have thrown out the plant, not knowing that it could possibly regenerate from the rhizome.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    xvart, thanks for the photo. A picture speaks a thousand words.

Most growers would have thrown out the plant, not knowing that it could possibly regenerate from the rhizome.
    Thanks, Cindy. It was such a small and compact clump that it was tough to see exactly how many growth points there were; but I think there were three to four. If all the current growth points continue to strengthen and pull though there should be at least four, hopefully I'll get another one or two from the roots. I guess that's one good reason for almost killing a plant!

xvart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The clump that died back that I posted about above is doing very well. Here it is today:

It just goes to show you never to give up on Cephalotus.

xvart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear it .
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    Well, I got little Jimmy here yesterday, any tips besides no excess water, cool summer nights, and winter?

I would have to agree with a couple of the other respondants in that the media looks a bit too wet and letting it dry a bit will likely remove your pests. Personally, I wouldn't bother with any repotting for a while, since this is the serious growing season in the US for Cephalotus to put out its pitchers -- and I would do nothing to shock or stunt such a tiny plant at this stage.

The simplest and most successsful methods I've used for years in growing Cephalotus, simply involve using the shallow tray method for watering (and letting it dry out before adding more), a generous amount of light, humidity in the 70% + range, and Tbs that stay out of the eighties for any sustained period . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice, but that was months ago. My Ceph is growing fine. It makes probably 3-5 pitchers at a time and made a division . Although, I did have an accident where I forgot to water it and 3 of the oldest pitcher shriveled up and lost some mass. That or they were just old.

Plant as of today:

Biggest pitcher (0.5 inches :P):

New division:

Growth point #1 (Jimmy):

Growth point #2 (Timmy):

Sorry about the size, they were supposed to be 320 x 240

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast