What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus tips?

Well, I got little Jimmy here yesterday, any tips besides no excess water, cool summer nights, and winter?

SN850791.jpg

Yeah don't repot it for a while and if you do don't expose the roots (very sensitive)

Did it come bareroot to you? Or already potted? If bareroot, be prepared for some dying off of the oldest pitchers.

It looks very wet to me...

When you water, water around the perimeter of the pot and not near the crown which can lead to rot.

I water mine right over the top and have no problems.

Too wet. My Cephalotus is on a slight hill, and I water in the "moat" around it (which, over time, makes it a little deeper, I've been doing it for 1.5 years, it USED to be level with the Cephalotus but now it's a slight hill). I simply put the pot to the sink, turn the cool water on, wait for it to flood a little and go into the soil. Done! Then wait until it gets bone dry and then I water it again. Be careful, don't fertilize, uh... I'm really only experienced with the smaller ones but not baby like that one. I got mine when it JUST moved from baby pitchers to small adult pitchers.

Then wait until it gets bone dry and then I water it again.

Personally, I don't wait until it's "bone dry" but I do let it dry out some before re-watering.

xvart.

Boy, that IS tiny. Was it grown from seed?

At least you'll have plenty of pleasant experiences watching it grow & grow over the next few years. :bigthumpup:

Not too wet and watch out for too high of humidity; you don't want to encourage mold.

This is what I meant by dying back. A small Ceph I potted up a couple of weeks ago looked like this.
ceph_new.jpg

Today, the yellowing shoot has died down to nothing and only the other growth point is left.
ceph_new1.jpg

Personally, I prefer to start with a large size plant even if it is bareroot. It can be rather nerve-wrecking to watch an already small plant die back and become even smaller. :0o:

You can take a spoon and get undr the plant right now without it noticing and add more media underneath it to create a mounded surface. This is helpful towward preventing rot

The mounded potting will also help the plant spread in time. I don't know about being able to start plants from the roots, but I think if there is exposed roots you wil get a new start from the plant once it is large enough. My guy is rather small and I repoted it the other day because it was in LFS that was getting slimey. It has three growth points. Do not fret if the thing seams like it just stalls and does nothing for a while. mine did that and now it is groing again. I think all winter it did nothing. Then it started putting out non carnivorous leaves and then new traps once spring got here. Also I think the whole top watering thing is a main concern when you have lack of airflow. I actually water from the top too and don't worry about rot. I have a lot of airflow in my GH.

To be honest I give mine no special attention and have neglected it and it is still around.

Keep in mind I am new with cephs and DO NOT take my experience as gospel. I try alot of crazy things with my plants and sometimes I get burned like when my Albomarginata is now about gone dure to root rot from a heavy use of peat in my mix.

It looks very wet to me...

When you water, water around the perimeter of the pot and not near the crown which can lead to rot.

Too wet. My Cephalotus is on a slight hill, and I water in the "moat" around it (which, over time, makes it a little deeper, I've been doing it for 1.5 years, it USED to be level with the Cephalotus but now it's a slight hill). I simply put the pot to the sink, turn the cool water on, wait for it to flood a little and go into the soil. Done! Then wait until it gets bone dry and then I water it again. Be careful, don't fertilize, uh... I'm really only experienced with the smaller ones but not baby like that one. I got mine when it JUST moved from baby pitchers to small adult pitchers.

Yes, thats what I did, before I took the picture, I added a little bit of water, so that's why it looks so wet. I might consider to that of making a mound kind of, but I'm not sure.

PS:I'm not sure if it was seed grown, but I got from Andy, he said that it was a small division. And yes, it came potted up.

It is a well established propagation... It had looked better when I agreed to give them away, then I had let it dry out. It has grown back quickly and should continue to do so. The leaves were almost touching the sides of the pot before that happened about a month or so ago. I would not worry about transplanting it for a little bit. When you do decide to, I would just flop the plant w/media in your hand and plant the whole thing in a larger pot :)
Enjoy it ;)
Andrew

Ok, I'm a little freaked out now, when I look into its pot, I can sometimes see little bugs in it and I could've sworn I saw a little worm thingy, I tried to get it out, but I couldn't. Should I worry about it?

I've never seen any... Maybe it is being kept too wet as others above have suggested. Just let it dry out more between waterings. Probably fungus gnats.

I've never seen any... Maybe it is being kept too wet as others above have suggested. Just let it dry out more between waterings. Probably fungus gnats.

I'm trying to right now when I noticed that the soil was actually a bet too wet. I'm not sure where it could've come from, but I could've sworn I saw it the day I got it, but I'm not sure.

Since this post talks a little about die back and coming back from roots or off-shoots I thought I would share these pictures. I've mentioned a few times around here about my first typical Cephalotus and how I moved it to a top shelf with no lights while water some of my other plants and forgot about it, denying it light for several days. All the growth pretty much halted and died, but it started growing back from the roots, which you can see as the new green growth is pushing through the dead brown stuff. It seems some of the previous growth is still hanging on and very pale or brownish, but still alive.

Cephalotustypical1-42808.jpg

Cephalotustypical2-42808.jpg

xvart.

xvart, thanks for the photo. A picture speaks a thousand words. :)

Most growers would have thrown out the plant, not knowing that it could possibly regenerate from the rhizome.

xvart, thanks for the photo. A picture speaks a thousand words. :)

Most growers would have thrown out the plant, not knowing that it could possibly regenerate from the rhizome.

Thanks, Cindy. It was such a small and compact clump that it was tough to see exactly how many growth points there were; but I think there were three to four. If all the current growth points continue to strengthen and pull though there should be at least four, hopefully I'll get another one or two from the roots. I guess that's one good reason for almost killing a plant!

xvart.

Back