Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: new H. tatei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice Heli AV
    Is that the BE clone you were unsure as to its true ID? It looks more neblinae than tatei. My red waxy form neblinae might be a hybrid. Although brought from a different source I wonder whether the Red form of neblinae that wistuba sells is the same? My own wistuba red form is still very small but is now (finally) sending up a young adult pitcher. Both this and the red waxy form are much slower in growth than my two other neblinae.
    How is your elongata getting along? My wistuba form brought 10 years ago is refusing to send up any adult growth!! I have just recently got myself an adult plant which was apparently collected in the 50's long before it was named!

Keep posting those photos!!

cheers

bill

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fly-catchers View Post
    How is your elongata getting along? My wistuba form brought 10 years ago is refusing to send up any adult growth!! I have just recently got myself an adult plant which was apparently collected in the 50's long before it was named!
    Beautiful plants . . .

No kidding? I have a five year old H. elongata in the same condition and have heard similar stories from other growers.

Well, I guess that I am in for the long haul . . .

“Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice Heli AV
    Is that the BE clone you were unsure as to its true ID? It looks more neblinae than tatei. My red waxy form neblinae might be a hybrid. Although brought from a different source I wonder whether the Red form of neblinae that wistuba sells is the same? My own wistuba red form is still very small but is now (finally) sending up a young adult pitcher. Both this and the red waxy form are much slower in growth than my two other neblinae.

Keep posting those photos!!

cheers

bill
    Thanks everyone for the kind words,

Bill, im not so sure its tatei, but I'm not so sure it's neblinae either. Maybe a little of both LOL... Did you follow the tatei vs. neblinae discussion on the listserv a month or two ago?

This "tatei" is a very fast grower... and the inside of the pitchers did not show the wax until the got rather large. Prior to that they were wax free and pubescent on the inside. You can even see evidence of this in my pictures. The older, smaller pitchers are still showing the pubescent trait. While the tall, newer ones are glabrous and waxy on the interior.
    My wistuba red (assumed) is already waxy and its just now producing adult pitchers.
    So I dont know.... maybe not the same but closely related?

It also glabrous on the exterior... so I'm not so sure I would call it neblinae (per the listserv discussion)

There are conflicts between the historical, McPherson, Wistuba and Fleischman descriptions.

Until Fleicshman publishes his Heli genetic research everything is kind of in a holding pattern on these two species. But the new parva that has been recently released is definitely in compliance with his recent public comments on the subject.

My elongata just kinda hangs in there... has to be the specific clone we have.... or they need something radically different than what most everyone is doing., I just dunno... I have a glabra that is the same way... I just let them do their own thing anymore, if they wanna grow fine.... of not then oh well, I'll try a different plant one day.

are there anymore of these heirloom elongatas floating around?

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post

/at a loss for words because of the nice color
    Thez, but you always told me that tatei was "icky pooh"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    My elongata just kinda hangs in there... has to be the specific clone we have.... or they need something radically different than what most everyone is doing., I just dunno... I have a glabra that is the same way... I just let them do their own thing anymore, if they wanna grow fine.... of not then oh well, I'll try a different plant one day.

are there anymore of these heirloom elongatas floating around?[COLOR="green"]
    Butch, my H.glabra finally kicked in with its adult leaves after four years of flipping me the bird; and when I get around to dividing it, you're on the top of that tepui . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    Thez, but you always told me that tatei was "icky pooh"

It is, but yours has a nice color and you've grown it amazingly well so that it looks great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is your elongata getting along? My wistuba form brought 10 years ago is refusing to send up any adult growth!!
    While I knew some Heli's were slow to develop adult pitchers, this example (w/ Butch & David's similar experiences) serves to recalibrate my assumptions - wowza!
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123