What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C. Hummer's giant and C. Typical

Hummer's Giant finally coming back from shock
CPupdate4-25-08005.jpg

Typical, a young one. but also recovering from shock, rather nicely i might add.
CPupdate4-25-08006.jpg

Sir Kris - dude, thats AWESOME!!!

Might I ask what made them go into shock?

shipping for the HG since it was bareroot is my guess. it only had a couple pitchers on it, its fine now i believe.
the baby was also stressed from shipping but it wasnt bare root, as well as the change in its growing climate.

Are the pitchers dying or just that dark purple/black?

Nice. What kind of light do they get?

well the purple pitchers are there from the previous grower who is also a member of this forum, Justlikeapill
i just use 2 24" daylight fluorescent tubes.
but im going to add another fixture

so are there alot of species of these?

they are just clones, Cephalotus are like VFTs, only one species but different clones and varieties

I got a tiny I mean tiny one from him like 3 years ago and it's pretty nice now but not that purple.

I got a tiny I mean tiny one from him like 3 years ago and it's pretty nice now but not that purple.

Could it be the white balance of the photo? SirKristoff's pics seem to have a little more blue than they should.

Cindy, thats the actual color of the pitchers xD oddly enough.
they used to be a dark red but they darkened up more a couple weeks after i got them, so i dont put it past them that they could be nearing their end lol.
but thats fine, as long as it keeps pitchering for me ;)

so i removed the sphagnum from the pot since it seemed to be choking the plant a bit and had some mites fungus mites and nats.
and in the process. found 2 new growth points :D
here is one(look just below the main part of the plant)
CHummersGiant4-28-08003.jpg

Cindy, thats the actual color of the pitchers xD oddly enough.

Then the pitchers would be pretty cool! :)

my guess is, the blue is from the way the lighting in the terrarium is. since the lights have a somewhat blue spectrum, the camera picks up on it. correct? but the pitchers are as dark as they appear in the photos. maybe just a little lighter but not by much.

Thanks, JLAP. I thought it could just be my eyes...and their odd way of looking at colours. :-))

Back