What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia full vs. part sun

I have a Sarracenia x catesbaei, a Sarracenia "Dana's Delight", and a Purpurea ssp. Venosa.

I live in Harrisburg, PA where at the moment we're in lowe to upper 70's and 50's at night.

My Sarr's are outside currently in full sun from morning till almost sunset.

I could move them so that they get morning sun, and are shaded in mid-late afternoon sun till sundown.

Would they do better if I moved them, or should I leave them in full sun?

They seem to be doing okay, but I'm concerned a little with frying them (none of them seem to be making any digestive juices or bug-attracting dew of any kind, they seem a bit dry), although the catesbaie just made a nice new pitcher this last week.

None of them have caught any bugs. I just gave up and hand fed each plant one small-ish insect today.

Give them as much sun as you possibly can. You're lucky to have a place where they get sun all day long! Sarrs (some more than others) are light guzzlers; give'em what they want.

As for the rest, I don't know that Sarrs are actually supposed fill their pitchers with fluid like nepenthes....mine never have. And wait for summer, those guys will start stuffing themselves with bugs.

Thanks man, glad to hear this.

I'll leave them where they are and keep em soaked.

The purpurea ssp. Venosa was a Lowe's buy - it was green and sick looking when I bought it, but man you should see it now. It's much more red than green now, lots of red veins, and it's starting to look kind of like an ssp. purpurea...

Ya, forgot to mention(but without a doubt you already know) that you should keep the soil nice'n'soggy. That'll help prevent drying out(duh!).

Congrats on the Deathcube rescue! Any chance of before/after pics?

S. purpurea generally doesn't secrete much in the way of fluid which is why they are open to rainfall. Fill them up about a third of the way if you wish. The hybrids I wouldn't worry about even though they have pupurea in them. They should produce their own fluids.

Give them all full sun. Ssp. venosa can gets a good red color with the collar being green with lots of red veining. Dana's delight will get a better color.

Yeah, Sars are like VFT and can take FULL SUN

Im growing some sarrs and VFTs indoor which is getting really hard

plus im at Bucknell (Lewisburg) which is right next to you

how do they like it?. how do they like it? MORE MORE MORE! ♪

Back