Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus humidity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    45% is fine. Mine was weened from 100% to 30%. Cephalotus are a lot more tolerant than many think . Though, occasional light misting throughout the hotter sunny days is beneficial.
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are getting 38% recently, with temperatures around 92F during the day. Tough plants once they are established. But to acclimatise them from bareroot...well, it takes lots of patience and faith.

I am not sure about the rest of you, but if the lids don't close I suppose the plant is fine with the drop in humidity.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeciFiX View Post
    Though, occasional light misting throughout the hotter sunny days is beneficial.

I disagree, this will encourage powdery mildew
    Stephen
    Sarracenia rosea?...don't be ridiculous!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misting of Cephalotus brings up a good question: Should one mist (spray) Cephalotus??

I know that watering of the crown is generally a no-no, but getting an entire plant wet with misting is considered alright? I assume that Cephs encounter rain in their natural wild habitat anyway.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cephalotus prefer humidity between 60-80% from what ive read, but can be a acclimated to the lower levels. just dont expect it to do much for awhile until it adjusts. mine are all grown in high humidity, but i had to remove the Live LFS from my Hummer's Giant pot because of the powdery mildew issue. though it seems to have stopped. Of course cephs encounter rain in the wild, but i believe since we are growing in doors, the plant wouldnt dry out as quick thus causing the issues with mildew, that is just what I believe. Cephs are fun to grow and really pay off as they mature. :3 have fun with yours, congrats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gardenofeden View Post
    I disagree, this will encourage powdery mildew
    Well for me it works great, so...
    - NeciFiX

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the point of misting if it's in the open? It only raises the relative humidity only slightly, and even then for a very very short amount of time. If you were going to mist with a spray bottle, you'd have to mist every few minutes to make a noticeable impact. And, if your plant is growing fine, the purpose of misting, no matter how little of an impact it will make, is unnecessary. The only time misting will help is if the plant is in an enclosed area, and the moisture will stay within the chamber, like a terrarium; otherwise, you are just raising the humidity of the entire world, at the tune of no negligible difference whatsoever, depending on where the water came from.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The humidity went down to 28% today! At the moment, the plants are enjoying a good misting in the balcony to bring the humidity back up to at least 70%.
    Cindy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast