Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BOGUS S. leucophylla HCW

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_OrchidGuy View Post

Woodnative you cannot put the cultivar of HCW on seeds grown from a HCW plant. They are not IMO HCW. Not even to the ones that look like HCW.

I guess my search for HCW starts again.

From the cultivar registration description of 'Hurricane Creek White':
    ...produces an abundance of seed even when selfed. (Seed production is a good way to raise a large number of Sarracenia that have the characteristics of this cultivar. In order to maintain this cultivar’s unique hardiness, color, and size characters, do not attach the cultivar name to any seedlings that do not show the large white pitchers of this Sarracenia leucophylla cultivar.)
    According to John Brittnacher of the ICPS seedbank approximately 20-25% of the seedlings will display red veining and should not be labeled 'Hurricane Creek White'

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I am not sure how cultivars work for CPs, but for orchids when a cultivar is named. The ONLY other plants that can have that cultivar name are ones divided off that plant or clones made from that plant. Seed grown plants ARE NOT that same cultivar even if they look like it. For the simple reason of genetic variation.
    Josh - there are few "colonial" cultivars, whereas the entire population is considered to be of that cultivar. The genetic variation does vary among the plants, but for appearance sake, they are close enough to warrant the "colonial" cultivar status, which of course, only adds to the confusion.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you are correct it adds to the confusion. Whoever came up with that type of identification is not very bright. A cultivar should be used to name one specific plant. Not a group. that would lead to a lot less confusion. Then goof ups like this would not happen either where Pyro and I's plants turn out not to be HCW possibly due to someone attaching the name to seed grown HCW that may have cross pollinated with another plant leading to its false ID.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ William,

No pitchers up yet but once they do go up I'll try to get some shots.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you are correct it adds to the confusion. Whoever came up with that type of identification is not very bright. A cultivar should be used to name one specific plant. Not a group. that would lead to a lot less confusion. Then goof ups like this would not happen either where Pyro and I's plants turn out not to be HCW possibly due to someone attaching the name to seed grown HCW that may have cross pollinated with another plant leading to its false ID.
    If you have issues with the Cultivar registration process for Carnivorous Plants I suggest you take the up with the ICPS, the International Cultivar Registration Authority (ICRA) for CPs:

http://www.ishs.org/sci/icralist/34.htm

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cul...ivarsmain.html
    If you have additional questions regarding the ICRA registration process, you can direct them to the ICPS Registrar, Jan Schlauer.

They are well aware of your criticisms. However no rules or laws are ever going to eliminate outright fraud or honest mistakes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Pyro... no worries about pictures on my end... just thought you might have pictures of pitchers from previous years, it'd be nice to see 'em... don't take 'em and post 'em just for me! ;-)

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wmgorum View Post
    don't take 'em and post 'em just for me! ;-)
    Yes, do it just for me!

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a number. When I have the time i just might do that. A cultivar is a certain single plant and its exact clones in my book. If you have seed grown HCW and you place a the cultivar name on them of HCW that could account for the variation of the flowers. Which leads to the confusion when the plant gets mature.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast