Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New to Cephalotus follicularis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i say repot it right away.....place it in a pot that looks about 5 sizes to big......mound the soil up so you have a hill of dirt thats well above the pot rim.....plant it on the top of the hill...place in a tray that is given the chance to dry out between waterings for a couple days ..this way it will likely be several years before you have to mess with it again......the mound of soil alows the top of the soil to stay nice and moist without getting to wet.....by using a large pot you dont have to repot it every year, disturbing the roots.....i planted two quarter sized clumps of plants in an 7 inch pot that is 9 inches tall(closer to 10.5 to the top of the mound)....mine see 16 hour days year round
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, while the majority of advice is contrary, Rattler's is the best. Get it in the best conditions from the get go and then let it be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I will look today for a pot bigger than the one that is coming, maybe something like the one used for the African Violets, that ones have most of the times with the tray for the watering...

I'm thinking on a mix of 50/50 Sphangnum peat moss and Perlite (I finally get some from a diferent brand than MiracleGro, I get Hoffman Horticultural Perlite)...

N. Albomarginata, N. Ampullaria
    N. Bellii, N. Bicalcarata, N. Rafflesiana
    N. Sanguinea (Orange Pitcher), Cephalotus Follicularis

http://www.knology.net/~fus

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try 2/1 perlite/peat, 2/.5/.5 perlite/peat/LFS, or some other combination that's very open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    No don't. If you are ever going to repot, don't repot it till a few years...
    IMO, I don't think you can make blanket statements like this w/o knowing the situation. I typically start my Cephs in small 2.5" pots (from leaf propagation) and sometimes I have 2 separate plants in one of those pots. 2 of the plants I traded this spring had 2"+ roots growing out of the bottom of the pot and had adult pitchers over 1.5". IMHO, both of these should be repotted soon after people receive them. The Cephs I traded that had 2 small individual plants in a 2.5" pot should also be repotted into individual pots asap to avoid major root entaglement.

Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    ... and make sure it's a big pot where it can grow for awhile. I've heard that when you repot, you should take it out with the whole thing of soil (like transplanting regular plants for gardens) and put it in the new pot and fill the space left. Hope that helps .
    Agree with the bigger pot thing (as quoted & also as Rattler describes above).

However, I have been frequently seeing posts on all of the forums that give the impression that "Cephs are scary and need to be treated super carefully" . I believe this is garbage. Like most plants - listen to what they're telling you. As for repotting, if you remove the plant from the original pot and it's roots are running in circles around the pot - it probably makes sense to untangle them and spread them out in the new pot - rather than leaving them alone. As for them being 'sensitive' to repotting, have you read Steve's (elgecko) thread where he hacked a nice plant into 5-10 smaller plants (some w/o roots iirc) - and all the pieces lived?

Somehow, somewhere, I think the hype over the difficulty growing these guys has far exceeded the reality. Unlike Heli's, Petiolaris dews (or schizzy's for that matter), I do not hear much about folks actually losing Cephs. Sure, they can take a while to get past the small pubescent pitcher stage (or not) - especially if they're not getting any food - but if they don't sit in water 24/7 or dry out for weeks - then - they grow.

Also unlike the plants mentioned above, Cephs are very adaptable to a wide variety of conditions and temperature ranges and don't need to be babied. I grow some outside all summer, some on windowsills, some under lights - some are in 100% peat, some are in airy mixes with sand, perlite, & live LFS and some in-between. All grow like little weeds .... and in-addition, they are one of the easier plants to propagate. For the past several years, I've propagated 20-40 and had close to 100% success w/ each plucked leaf (I say close to 100% because I didn't pay attention enough to know or remember my success rates before 2 years ago. For at least the last 2 years - it's been 100%).

As for this mythical 'shortage' - I can't figure that out either - especially with how easy they propagate. Heck, I've had multiple plants available for trade on my growlist page for years.... with few takers...

Rant mode off .. ..
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i never said cephs are scarry.....other than the moss removal thing a few months back i havent touched them in a year as i like to let them do their own thing....i did kill 2 before these ones though and i believe the problem traces back to to small of a pot and the soil doesnt stay fairly evenly moist, it would go from to wet to to dry rather quickly and was a pain to keep just right....the large pot and mound of soil seem to completely solve this problem...also it does seem that the small plants take a good long while to take off, but when they finally do they grow like gang busters....basically my advise is to use a large pot to solve the water and root disterbance issues and forget about them and let them settle down
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personally,

I find them to also be some of the fastest growing plants I have... maybe its my particular conditions/techniques/dumb luck but they can grow at an incredible rate

and as stated, root cuttings are almost a no-brainer

Av

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once attempted to remove a "winter leaf" and accidently severed the plant. I was a little horrified but I put the severed part part in a tray of swampy, live LFS. Then I had two plants.

It's that sudden death thing that sometimes occurs that is scary.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast