What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Cephalotus follicularis

MrFus

Do you like that...
Hey have read some of the tips that you have posted on the Cephalotus, after think a little bit I decide to give it a chance and I will be geting one on the week...

I have a question, should I repot the plant as soon I get it?

I usually do that with my nepenthes and no one have show any problem at all, but with the Cephalotus Im not sure about to keep it as is or repot and let the plant recover from the shiping shock and the repot at the same time.

Thanks

NO
Cephalotus hates having its roots disturbed.
good luck!
-Matt

No don't. If you are ever going to repot, don't repot it till a few years and make sure it's a big pot where it can grow for awhile. I've heard that when you repot, you should take it out with the whole thing of soil (like transplanting regular plants for gardens) and put it in the new pot and fill the space left. Hope that helps ;).

Good, the I will keep it on the current pot for a while (one year will be good? or maybe two?)... thanks, I hope I can keep it healty :-D.

I'd keep it in the pot until it starts to outgrow it. I've read 2 years elsewhere, though.

it likes it's soil on the dryer side you can grow it on the tray method but with only like water a quarter inch and let the tray stay dry for several days inbetween waterings. If you water it like a nepenthes then water around the edge of the pot instead of near the plant.

I'd keep it in the pot until it starts to outgrow it. I've read 2 years elsewhere, though.

It generally takes quite a while for one to outgrow a pot, for me at least.

I think the "every 2 years" is for soil change. My ceph soil goes bad after about 3 years.

You can tell by the smell... :-O

what about light?

I will grow it indoors on my room and I was thinking to use Flourescent Lights, how long is the photoperiod for the Cephalotus?

I have read some people say 12 to 16 hours, and the reduce to 8 to 10 on winter...

i say repot it right away.....place it in a pot that looks about 5 sizes to big......mound the soil up so you have a hill of dirt thats well above the pot rim.....plant it on the top of the hill...place in a tray that is given the chance to dry out between waterings for a couple days ..this way it will likely be several years before you have to mess with it again......the mound of soil alows the top of the soil to stay nice and moist without getting to wet.....by using a large pot you dont have to repot it every year, disturbing the roots.....i planted two quarter sized clumps of plants in an 7 inch pot that is 9 inches tall(closer to 10.5 to the top of the mound)....mine see 16 hour days year round

Actually, while the majority of advice is contrary, Rattler's is the best. Get it in the best conditions from the get go and then let it be.

Ok, so I will look today for a pot bigger than the one that is coming, maybe something like the one used for the African Violets, that ones have most of the times with the tray for the watering...

I'm thinking on a mix of 50/50 Sphangnum peat moss and Perlite (I finally get some from a diferent brand than MiracleGro, I get Hoffman Horticultural Perlite)...

Try 2/1 perlite/peat, 2/.5/.5 perlite/peat/LFS, or some other combination that's very open.

No don't. If you are ever going to repot, don't repot it till a few years...
IMO, I don't think you can make blanket statements like this w/o knowing the situation. I typically start my Cephs in small 2.5" pots (from leaf propagation) and sometimes I have 2 separate plants in one of those pots. 2 of the plants I traded this spring had 2"+ roots growing out of the bottom of the pot and had adult pitchers over 1.5". IMHO, both of these should be repotted soon after people receive them. The Cephs I traded that had 2 small individual plants in a 2.5" pot should also be repotted into individual pots asap to avoid major root entaglement.

... and make sure it's a big pot where it can grow for awhile. I've heard that when you repot, you should take it out with the whole thing of soil (like transplanting regular plants for gardens) and put it in the new pot and fill the space left. Hope that helps ;).
Agree with the bigger pot thing (as quoted & also as Rattler describes above).

However, I have been frequently seeing posts on all of the forums that give the impression that "Cephs are scary and need to be treated super carefully" . I believe this is garbage. :crazy: Like most plants - listen to what they're telling you. As for repotting, if you remove the plant from the original pot and it's roots are running in circles around the pot - it probably makes sense to untangle them and spread them out in the new pot - rather than leaving them alone. As for them being 'sensitive' to repotting, have you read Steve's (elgecko) thread where he hacked a nice plant into 5-10 smaller plants (some w/o roots iirc) - and all the pieces lived?

Somehow, somewhere, I think the hype over the difficulty growing these guys has far exceeded the reality. Unlike Heli's, Petiolaris dews (or schizzy's for that matter), I do not hear much about folks actually losing Cephs. Sure, they can take a while to get past the small pubescent pitcher stage (or not) - especially if they're not getting any food - but if they don't sit in water 24/7 or dry out for weeks - then - they grow. :banana2:

Also unlike the plants mentioned above, Cephs are very adaptable to a wide variety of conditions and temperature ranges and don't need to be babied. I grow some outside all summer, some on windowsills, some under lights - some are in 100% peat, some are in airy mixes with sand, perlite, & live LFS and some in-between. All grow like little weeds .... and in-addition, they are one of the easier plants to propagate. For the past several years, I've propagated 20-40 and had close to 100% success w/ each plucked leaf (I say close to 100% because I didn't pay attention enough to know or remember my success rates before 2 years ago. For at least the last 2 years - it's been 100%).

As for this mythical 'shortage' - I can't figure that out either - especially with how easy they propagate. Heck, I've had multiple plants available for trade on my growlist page for years.... with few takers... :scratch:

Rant mode off :D .. :angel: .. :beer:

i never said cephs are scarry.....other than the moss removal thing a few months back i havent touched them in a year as i like to let them do their own thing....i did kill 2 before these ones though and i believe the problem traces back to to small of a pot and the soil doesnt stay fairly evenly moist, it would go from to wet to to dry rather quickly and was a pain to keep just right....the large pot and mound of soil seem to completely solve this problem...also it does seem that the small plants take a good long while to take off, but when they finally do they grow like gang busters....basically my advise is to use a large pot to solve the water and root disterbance issues and forget about them and let them settle down

personally,

I find them to also be some of the fastest growing plants I have... maybe its my particular conditions/techniques/dumb luck but they can grow at an incredible rate

and as stated, root cuttings are almost a no-brainer

Av

I once attempted to remove a "winter leaf" and accidently severed the plant. I was a little horrified but I put the severed part part in a tray of swampy, live LFS. Then I had two plants.

It's that sudden death thing that sometimes occurs that is scary.

i never said cephs are scarry.....
My apologies - I didn't mean to infer that you did. I just happened to start my rant right after mentioning your post - oops. (I've revised my original rant - er post - to be somewhat more clear). ???

personally,

I find them to also be some of the fastest growing plants I have...
And now you can join me in the CP purgatory of bad Ceph luck for having stated that these guys grow well for you without problems..... I can almost see the leaves on my largest plant wilting now .... :0o:

:jester: :jester: :jester:

And now you can join me in the CP purgatory of bad Ceph luck for having stated that these guys grow well for you without problems..... I can almost see the leaves on my largest plant wilting now .... :0o:

:jester: :jester: :jester:

LOL many a ceph gave up their life so I/we could learn what didnt work, and from our previous conversations we each use a simular bag of tricks ;)

Av

Excelent, Thanks to every one for all the information!

It feels good to know the cephalotus are not so hard to grow...

As soon as my plant gets here I will take a pic to share, I still have a couple of days to get a nice pot, look for a way to get a small light here (I want to keep this plant on my bedroom) and build a small shelf just for the plant.

I think it's just one of "those" plants, Mrfus. Either you've just "got the touch" or you don't. Dionaea, Aldrovanda, Drosophyllum, and Darlingtonia are sort of like that, too, at least in the US. I can't grow Dionaea well to save my life. People with far more experience and far better conditions that myself can't grow them, and some people grow them very well without trying. I did use Trichoderma.

Interesting that they all just happen to be monotypical genera.

Back