Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Repotting helis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Repotting helis

I have a little one in a 3in pot and I want to get it in a bigger pot with a cypress based mulch. First off should I just not mess with it and second should I just take the plant soil and all and just put it in the middle of the new mix?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that should work. You still want to be careful as the pitchers and roots are very fragile. I usually lose some pitchers to physical damage and/or older pitchers die quicker than than normally would without repotting.

Good luck.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not at all meant as advice but I wanted to post my experience as I just repotted and probably should've done a little research here on the forums first. :D
    My H. heterodoxa had been in the same container since I got it two or three years ago and the crown had since died out and divided into about five smaller points on the edges of the pot. For a while it had many more and I probably should've repotted then, but I was intimidated. It initially was much smaller than the pot and co-planted with live sphagnum, but as it got bigger it overwhelmed the moss, which mostly died off. The mix underneath also turned out to be some sort of tree fiber/LFS blend and seemed on the verge of rot to me, so, contrary to typical advice, I set to untangling the roots from the old mix for fear of root diseases. I probably broke off some smaller tertiary roots but for the most part, I think I did a good job of it. The mix was soft and very decayed so it came loose easily; I washed the root ball in cool water and almost everything came off right there. In all I got five separate pieces of rhizome - one without roots, two joined at the root (or maybe a fractured rhizome) and two others - and so far a week later I've only seen three of the oldest pitchers wilt (out of about 20 total, I guess.) I put it in a mostly inorganic mix with lots of chunky stuff like lava rock, perlite and ceramic chips. I used sand and a little peat for fill and threw some strands of LFS in near the middle depths of the pot because it's really tall and I wanted something to act as a wick - I went from a 2.5" round starter pot to an 8" round, 10" deep nursery pot so I figure my still mostly immature divisions might need some assistance getting at the water table.
    Any comments would be appreciated, but the deed is already done so all I can do is give 'em Superthrive and happy thoughts. Hopefully this will give some ideas to other people just starting out with Helis as well.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,

I think you'll be fine. I think a chunky mix is good thing, and I often use live LFS near the roots of a repotted heli to help the roots transition to a new mix. I try to use a deep container to encourage long roots, but I know others have had success in shallow pots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So don't transfer the old into the new or get rid of it down to the roots?