What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uhg..i might have just killed my baby ceph...D:

i was repotting it, and while trying to be careful and uproot the plant gently, many of the small roots broke off. though it still has a few and has the full portion of the main root.
i repotted it immediately and mounded this one pretty high. HOPEFULLY it will pull through
but the soil it was in previously was waterlogged.

Last edited by a moderator:
ouch thats not good hope it does well : pics :

The plant should pull through. It may lose the pitchers and even all the top growth, but do not give up on it. It can grow back from the rhizome.
I have made cuttings from the rhizome that contained no leaves, pitchers, or roots and can get plants from them.
I repotted many of my cuttings a while a go and, had 1 or 2 that all the top growth died back. I was going to toss the pot but decided just to wait it out and see what will happen. They all came back. Glad I did not toss the pots.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111133

It should be fine. The main root is what you should be concerned about. If that had broken off, it would be a different story. It may take a little longer, but I bet you'll be fine.

xvart.

here is a before and after shot of it.
before
CHummersGiant4-28-08008.jpg

after
Cephalotusupdate5-3-08001.jpg

you could have not disturbed it's roots and just taken it of a water tray or tilt the pot slightly so the excess water would drip out the bottom.
Don't keep it on the tray method it looks like it's sitting in a tray of water in the first pic no need for new soil just take it out of the water tray.
Hope it lives

well, trust me John, i let the soil dry quite a bit but it was seriously waterlogged. it will be fine now i hope, now that it has better drainage and is in a larger pot.

My severed Ceph did just fine in swampy, live, LFS. Yours should be okay.

I wanted to repot a fast-growing Ceph two months ago but in the process broke nearly all the fine roots. Till now, it has not put out much growth. It does take a while to recover. Not unlike potting up a bareroot Ceph. :(

Back