User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cephs to start growing from bareroot/cuttings - how long?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    Hi everyone, since there are a number of Ceph threads lately...for the newbies and me (who is about the only person living in the tropics who is so mad about Cephs ), please post your replies to these questions.

How long did your bareroot Ceph take to establish itself and start growing?

Or if your plant came potted, how long did it take to acclimatise to your growing conditions?

Most of the time, new growers tend to shift the plant from place to place after seeing that the plant has not grown much after a couple of weeks. They may also change its media...or change its watering routine and in the end, the plant suffers more and eventually dies. I hope this thread will give growers who are interested in Cephs an idea on the period the species takes to recover from being shipped bareroot or being put in a new growing condition. Thanks loads!
    Mine came bareroot.

I had it under grow lights.

It started growing again after dying a little (just a few pitchers) after a little over a month.
    I since then have moved it to a windowsill.
    - NeciFiX

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As my sensei Av8tor1 taught me, cephs are just slow initially. Once they get acclaimatised to your conditions, once u get them growing in the right zone.... they are on autopilot. You guys have to see my ceph and compare it to when I first had it...its a world of difference. I am waiting for the new pitchers to open before taking a shot.

You are exactly right Cindy! first leaf is pretty fast..but then it almost grows at the slowest pace imaginable. However, as more and more leaves form...it gets faster.

WOW B! Surely what are you gonna do with that clump of pitchers and leaves? If u put up some at the auction coming up..I am sure you will make some people very very very happy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, vraev...we have the same Ceph sensei!

A summary of the period required for new growth...
    Potted plant: 0-2 weeks
    Bareroot plant: 1-3 months
    Leaf cutting/Pitcher cutting: 1-3 months
    Rhizome cutting: 1-4 months

*Just let them do their thing. (Nitecrawler)
    *I don't touch them, move them or fuss with them at all. (Flip_Side_the_Pint)
    *First leaf is pretty fast..but then it almost grows at the slowest pace imaginable. (vraev)
    *Cephs are slow initially...then they are on autopilot once acclimatised. (vraev quoting sensei Av8tor1)
    Cindy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaaah! no wonder I was soo impressed by your cephs. You secret is finally out.

you should have seen my ceph before....my single lone ceph was in dying stages before I started listening to his steps which seemed drastic initially. But the results are apparent.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean this with love of course...

you both can just bite me

you know i will never be able to grow another ceph now, they will all die horrible and painful deaths sheesh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LMAO!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you know i will never be able to grow another ceph now, they will all die horrible and painful deaths
    How come I don't know?!?

The truth is, you have given up all the space for the helis right?
    Cindy

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moi?

actually you're sorta right, I am downsizing my cephs just a little to make room for the new helis...

quicktime video

that big empty spot on the top left side of the rack is for the new helis once they acclimate a little... Ive increased airflow and humidity to that shelf in preperation. But I still have plenty of cephs though, they will always be my favs. In addition to what is still in the main grow rack, I've got several growing under LED's as an experiment (just started a week or so ago, its what i did with a bunch of those cuttings)

but yep, helis are my current emphasis

(sorry for the crappy file size/vid length ratio... no conversion software on laptop... and you prob will have to first right click and save as to view the video, geocities can be a pain sometimes with vids)

Av

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast