What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wind protection

• Thread starter MrFlyTrap2
  • Start date

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
Does anyone do anything to protect their sarras from the wind?

I just put my planter outside, and this will be the first season growing them outdoors. We do get strong wind out here at random times, plus during storms. My planter is against a building so it has some protection.

Thanks!
Nathan

I stake up my taller plants. That's about it though!

I know, I hate the wind too.

It breaks more Sarr leaves than I can even count. GRRRR‼

I have to place my Sarrs outdoors between two parallel buildings and their location to one another creates a vicious wind-tunnel effect all spring/summer/fall long. I truly hate it.

What do you guys use for stakes?

And with Joosa's question, bucky, how tall do you feel plants need to be in order to get a stake? I was just looking at your wonderful bog pics, and couldn't pick out any that were braced up.

-Nate

I'd go with something natural, like bamboo... it'd be visually appealing... it grows like mad (I grow it in two huge pots so it doesn't get out of control) so it's always in supply...

Uggh, well my fears were justified today... 40 mph winds, all my nice sarras are bent, maybe flowers too. They were nothing more than 8" either. Good thing I used those security kits, the pots and plants would have blown away already. 8(

A pretty dismal start for my first sarra season, I'm going to have to tether, pole and brace every plant I grow. Uggh, what a hassle.

Have to go buy another watering can too, that blew away as well.

I used a stick and put it a the pot, then I tied yarned on it, then tied the yarn around all the leaves that when having trouble with wind. Here's a pic of what I mean.
SN850988.jpg

Uggh, well my fears were justified today... 40 mph winds, all my nice sarras are bent, maybe flowers too. They were nothing more than 8" either. Good thing I used those security kits, the pots and plants would have blown away already. 8(

A pretty dismal start for my first sarra season, I'm going to have to tether, pole and brace every plant I grow. Uggh, what a hassle.

Have to go buy another watering can too, that blew away as well.

I don't have problems with the smaller pitchers. I just stake the larger ones using plastic rods and string:
SoreoAlabama01.jpg

This year I pushed all my pots right up to each other. The pitchers mutually support each other and form windbreaks. I've also added sand or APS to the bottoms of some of the pots to help keep them from blowing over.

So far it seems to be working. I've only had to stake one pitcher on my S. "Dana's Delight" so far.

Back