Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S. minor growers wanted

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S. minor growers wanted

So I'm looking for folks growing (flowering size) S. minor and, particularly, the giant-form S. minor from Okeefenokee (sp?) Swamp in FL. I have one of each myself and they're probably my favorite purebred species of Sarracenia, but I've always been disappointed at how slowly they grow in cooler climates. I'd like to set up some pollen trading and work on some Okee F2 crosses (Okee x Okee) and also some Okee x typical forms to look for plants that are more tolerant of cold and late winters. This is, of course, a long-term project, but I think there's a reasonable chance that in three or four generations I could come up with a cold-hardy giant-form S. minor. So figuring that, with several growers working on it we shouldn't have any trouble arriving at one or more desirable cultivars. Thoughts? I'm not the most informed about location-specific varieties and the like, so anybody who knows of good candidate S. minor plants should chime in. For that matter, this may have already been done, so if that's the case feel free to tell me. I'll be doing research when I have the time, but at the moment I'm anticipating finals.
    Thanks,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I just recently got one S. minor from Andrew(and possibly an okee, idk it's a tiny clingon that found its way in). I don't know much about gathering pollen and such, but this sounds fun!

I'm game.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be a while before you see flowers from your plant, but we've got plenty of time... I should've emphasized flowering-size plants - edited my earlier post. Good to hear there's interest though.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "Okee Giant" I got from Andrew is flowering. One flower has already opened and has been crossed with another species. The second flower should open within the next couple weeks. The first flower did not produce much pollen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a regular ol' minor that is working on flowering. I've never done anything with sarracenia flowers (this'll be my first) so I don't know how helpful I could be but it is here in my yard if you're interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you grow your minors? Under glass they will grow fine ain your location.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish I had seen this earlier. I have okee giant that has already glowered and there doesn't appear to be anything left to gather pollen. I had a bunch of little critters crawling over it too. Not sure what they were they were tiny and long. My reg ol minor I forgot to check. But my flowers have been up for so long they are probably spent already too. I was so busy I didn't even think about crossing them this year and i will be cutting the flowers off as I duno whay crossed with what.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Someday is not a day of the week. Maxx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I got an okee thats flowering (not opened yet) right now. Give me a shout if you need help!
    I regret little to nothing!

My Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast