What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia growth rates?

So, I'm wondering...I've got a variety of Sarrs which I've had for years now, and while all have grown each season and produced growing points, none have actually gotten bigger traps. Do I just have crap plants, or is there something else going on? The care can't be too off because other plants sharing the same trays are getting bigger and flowering.

Mokele

What species/cultivars are we talking here? Without knowing that, all I could suggest is a soil/container change. I've had plants that don't have enough leg room underperform.

hows your lighting Mokele? one year when i moved, i had plants grow in an area that didnt have as much lighting as they would of liked. it was the only place I had for them due to my relocation circumstances... some plants did flower, but some plants remained more or less the same size from the prior year. the next year I moved again but to a much brighter place, and the plants took off from there like craaa-zeee!! i've also had the same experience as Jonathan here where the plant was too cramped and underperformed... hope this helps :)

A photo would be useful.

What species/cultivars are we talking here?

S. flava, rubra, and leuco. I've got all the other species (except oreo.) and one hybrid, and they're all doing fine. Even more confusing, I've even got a second leuco (Titan) that did wonderfully last year.

Without knowing that, all I could suggest is a soil/container change.

I repot every time they emerge from dormancy, and all species are in the same pots (modified tupperware, 7" diameter by 3.5" tall, in 1-1.5" standing distilled H2O).

hows your lighting Mokele?

As you'll see in the photos below, I actually built shelves from my balcony so all plants could get full sun, and they all get more or less the same amount (both underperformers and good growers, and both are mixed between front and back).

A photo would be useful.

Here you go:

growingarea2008.jpg

The ones doing poorly are farthest left near the camera, 3rd from left far, and 2nd from right near.

Due to the cold weather here in Cincinnati, they're only just starting to flower, but this lack of progress has occurred for the past 3 years.

Mokele

Back