What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A visit to Phil Faulisi's - PHOTOS!

Great pics Rob! Phil, your plants, as always, are stunning. The Leuco x Flava Red is to die for!!!

Clint, I really like your avatar! It got my attention for a while!

I've gotten so many PM's about her lmao.

Thank you all. Your words are very kind and humbly appreciated.

Robert- You are certainly welcome back here. How can I resist such passionate reactions. It's addicting. And I didn't even get a chance to show you my 'secret' stash!

Wes- I do not subscribe to the addage 'size is everything'...except with this leuco.x flava red cross. It is an enormous plant and is the first thing that stands out in the collection. It practically glows in the dark.

Woodnative- I'm happy you like the red trumpets as well. They are a pleasure to grow. I like to stick to basics with my Sarracenia cultivation practices. I use primarily 100% pure sphagnum peat moss, 'Sunshine' professional growers grade. Smaller pots 4 inches and under get a small amount of sand mixed in. Everything is grown outside year round and gets a complete winter dormancy...even first year seedlings. Plants in 8 inch pots and smaller are repotted annually. I do not grow them overly wet. I like the roots to grow down to search for the water supply. It seems to promote larger growth for me...under my conditions.

Joel- Surprisingly I don't really have to sort through that many plants to get the good stuff because I start out with only the very best parents. To put it into the simplest terms...I probably scrutinize Sarracenia more than any other grower/breeder. What most growers would consider breeding worthy plants are what I would cull out.

If I am looking for the best flava ornata, cuprea or rubricorpora around...I make it myself. And I do make most every species I work with. I have created more species from seed than hybrids. It's the species I pick through very carefully which is why I am so reluctant to trade for plants or accept anything new into the collection. It's strictly a business decision. All the other seedlings are sold off or..cough..(thrown out). You didn't hear that, LOL!!

Believe me, my home collection is only a tiny fraction of what I have. Most of the plants I create are grown out at another nursery where I have the option to pick through literally thousands of stock plants before any are sold. The stuff that is sold off is not really junk or anything because I would never put my name or my business partner's name on anything less than the best. Certain crosses will yield 100% top of the line material because of my careful selection of the breeding parents.
IMO breeding any ornamental plant is a science first rather than a crap shoot. When I decide to make a cross I compare my plants to as many similar attempts of others before I make the choices that I do. I search for every photo online or in books that I can find so I have an idea of what the resultant shapes and colors may yield and then set out to improve on that. Often times I don't have to put much thought into the process at all becuase I know what the outcome will be and I know that everything will turn out good. It's just the breeder's eye that you develop after so many years.

Beautiful plants!

Rob, if you have any pictures of Phil' species please post them !!!

Phil - Thank you for the reply, really appreciate it. If you ever want to share the love with Europe drop us a PM. I know we cant trade plants but seeds are a possibility :hail:

I some times wish I was on that side of the water. I much prefer the "fun" of creating new plants but with space at a premium over here I just don't have the space to give it a proper go :(

That...is...AMAZING!!!

Great job taking pics although it's not too hard with the material you had to work with. Amazing stuff Phil !

Incredible pics and crosses!!!! Something to strive for!

Just mindblowing pics. WOW!!! fantastic plants phil. thanks for posting Robert. :)

All of those plants are officially my new favorite Sarra hybrids..... Hope I can pick up a few in the future. Incredible plants, incredible pictures.

Back