Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Leaf pull success stories....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaf pull success stories....

This topic comes up now and again... propagation of Sarracenia from leaves. If I remember correctly, several folks have gotten the upright types (flavas, leucos, etc.) to root, and look like they will continue to develop. However, I have not heard reports back if any of these ever produced plants? Any success stories out there?
    I guess I should really try it myself and see what happens.

Also, I believe this method has been used successfully for S. rosea, correct?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure see this post (and thread) over on the ICPS board.

As for me, a couple months ago while trimming off last years pitchers from my S. rubra ssp gulfensis I unintentionally pulled a small pitcher off with a tiny sliver of rhizome. I "planted" it in live Sphagnum, bottom third of the leaf. I looked at it the other day. This is what it looks like today (leaf is 2.5-3.0 inches long):

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-19-2008 at 06:49 AM. Reason: helps to have the link :)
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I mentioned in the ICPS forum post NaN linked, for my experiment, the jury is still out. The plants in the post have developed extensive root systems - some as large as 6-10" with many branches. However, none have yet sprouted any new pitchers... They've all been potted up and I await new growth .... I'll provide updates as things develop...
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodnative View Post
    Also, I believe this method has been used successfully for S. rosea, correct?
    IIRC from Barry's CPN article, he had success with the prostrate Sarrs and either none or close to none w/ the erect ones.

If you have valued pups or psits, there is almost nothing to lose using this method to provide some backup. My purp/psit 'pullings' were taken very late in the season and kept under lights all winter - probably not the ideal time & conditions for success. Yet a large percent of the pitchers developed significant root systems (& hopefully more to come).

There is also a post in the same thread or one nearby on the ICPS forums about pulling old pitcher bases off the rhizome to stimulate new growth points...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled off a minor pitcher today because of mealy bug, crushed all the mealys, and cut the pitcher in half, trying to get the minor to root.
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's possible. I had planted a torn off pitcher after shipping and it rooted, but, I believe it died. However, it has been over a year since I had any CPs so my judgment is poor at best.
    - NeciFiX