Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heliamphora, Darlingtonia soil problem

Destiny VS Cause And Effect Empyrean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heliamphora, Darlingtonia soil problem

hi everyone i currently brought a Heliamphora, and a Darlingtonia i was wonder what kind of soil i should use. i have read few forum about Darlingtonia, most people recommend cold root for Darlingtonia, and warm temperature for leafs. in that case 100% sphagnum moss would be the best, but would that be leak of nutrient for the Darlingtonia. and cause it to grow slower? here is my idea of the soil should be 20% soil with mud ( not peat mix) on the bottom and 10% round and shiny increase the cool temperature for the root. and then with the 70% sphagnum. i m not sure abotu this yet my plant still on sphagnum moss

and about Heliamphora i don't kno much about this plant. when i brought this plant it came with 40%sand 20% perlite and 40% peat mix, please leave me some idea =] thank you

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about nutrients for your Darlingtonia. Carnivorous plants, including Darlintonia, capture insects for nutrients. They do not recieve any from the soil.

I use roughly 50% dried long fibered sphagnum and 50% perlite. However, I have read that 100% lfs works the best.

Sorry, I don't have any experiance with Heliamphora.

Good luck
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Heliamphora, I prefer an equal part of long-fibered sphagnum (live if possible), perlite, and pumice. A live dressing of moss keeps the local humidity high, the roots cool and the plants have less of a chance of drying out.

Here are a couple of recent shots of hybrid plants (Heliamphora heterodoxa x ionassi and H. heterodoxa x minor), one of which has truly gotten away from me and is in dire need of a new pot -- again -- within one year . . .

Last edited by BigBella; 07-05-2008 at 04:34 PM. Reason: photo issue . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

they don't HAVE to kill, it's just too many bugs.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

what works for me is all 100% long fiber sphagnum moss loosely packed in a wide clay terracota pot sitting in a tray, the evaporation from the clay pot keeps the roots cool enough, and if it gets above 75F the air conditioner turns on, don't worry about feeding it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea of keeping the roots cool is overemphasised way too much in my opinion.

Ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different soil recipes too.

Stick either plant in a large pot with in a few centimetres of water and it wil be fine. Use 100% sphagnum moss, 100% peat, 50:50 peat/perlite, 50:50 moss peat/moss - they're happy in lots of things.

My plants live in 100% sphagnum moss in full baking sun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The root-cooling notion may be a bit overplayed (I recently saw some Rube Goldberg contraption made to specifically keep Darlingtonia almost refrigerated) and everyone does seem to have their own favorite compost, I must admit; however most failures I've seen with Darlingtonia and Heliamphora stem from "cooking" the plants in one form or another . . .

Also, to be quite honest about the success you've mentioned both with Tb and compost, I don't recall ever visiting Manchester when the weather was not miserably cold . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a bunch planted on a creek... not doing much at all. Nothing good or bad. A few deformed growth but some are also putting up small but normal pitchers. I've got some in the native media and in typical cp media, and there's no difference. Maybe I added too much preen and they're just stunted for the remainder of the year. The Sphagnum moss couldn't be happier, though. I think it was probably a preen overdose :P

Maybe they just didn't like sitting in a sink for a week :P One thing is for sure, they're roots stay cool! Heliamphora DO divide like CRAZY when they're happy! And they sneak up on you... you don't realize they're doing it until it's time to repot because they grow mature offshoots so often! They'll grow in deformed because the other plants are crushing them and there's no room if you don't divide, IME. I used pure perlite, and the easy species didn't have any problems with warm temps (night at 70, day at mid 80's). They did really color up in the winter, though.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be, but then Darlingtonia has a reputation for not taking too kindly to root disturbance either. So it could just take a period of time for them to get back on track.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast