What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia Flava Decreasing

I got a Sarracenia flava var. cuprea at a LACPS meeting. After few months the pichers started to get smaller so i , thought that the cool weather did this, then just a couple weeks ago the pitchers started to deform. I never saw any pest on it. I will put pics asap

New pitchers look deformed? Flava tends to do its thing in spring and grows smaller, floppier pitchers in mid summer onwards. After that, phyllodia leaves are produced.

Thanks but it still has its phyllodia and old traps

My brother elsantaclause won't help me with pics so you guys will have to wait.
Pics:
Whole plant
P6260016.jpg

Regular Pitcher
P6260017.jpg

Small Pitcher
P6260018.jpg

Deformed pitcher
P6260019.jpg

More Deformed
P6260021.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like the seasonal growth changes that Alexis posted about to me.

As for the last photo the growth pattern could be anything. Could be aphids, could be not enough water or temperature extremes during a critical period in the leaf growth. Sometimes they just grow that way for no apparent reason or look that way for a while but develop "normally".

Yep, you're in the weedy pitcher stage. They usually start to appear in July or August so maybe your plant is just ahead of the game this year.

Did you get any decent pitchers this year though? Have you repotted or divided earlier on?

i got good pitcher in April and may and i haven't done anything t it since then

I'd try dividing it in the winter to try and encourage it to go back to producing decent spring pitchers next year.

Back