Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd cephalotuses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Odd cephalotuses

the cephalotus certainly is an odd plant. You can have them side-by-side and one of them will color up and the other will refuse and just stay completely green.

You can also have them sit there for a whole year and do nothing, it looks like this one is going to flower. It doesn't look like it's going to survive a flower though, I should cut off the flower stalk in case it gets stressed. I don't know though, do you think I should let it flower? I've never tried my hand at growing cephalotus from seed before.

And then I have this other oddball that produces pitchers with a second set of ribs below. Anybody else have a mature cephalotus doing this to you? Even the unopened pitchers seem to be putting out that second set of ribs.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not see any flower stalk on any of your plants.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
    I do not see any flower stalk on any of your plants.
    I agree! Only an etiolated non carnivorous leaf is visible to me on the larger plant.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps it was the "winter leaf? That is useful to begin a new plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By elgecko:I do not see any flower stalk on any of your plants.
    I also agree and i love the nep in the pics. what species?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b.t. View Post
    the cephalotus certainly is an odd plant. You can have them side-by-side and one of them will color up and the other will refuse and just stay completely green.

You can also have them sit there for a whole year and do nothing, it looks like this one is going to flower. It doesn't look like it's going to survive a flower though, I should cut off the flower stalk in case it gets stressed. I don't know though, do you think I should let it flower? I've never tried my hand at growing cephalotus from seed before.

And then I have this other oddball that produces pitchers with a second set of ribs below. Anybody else have a mature cephalotus doing this to you? Even the unopened pitchers seem to be putting out that second set of ribs.
    I routinely have had plants over the years which will readily become colorful and some even very dark; the so-called "Eden Black" comes to mind, which was circulating around the UK, while others will remain a lime green. Also the notion of the "double-ribbed" is a bit misleading and fairly common; simply the lateral "L" rib curl back from the bottom. It happens to a limited degree with most of my Cephalotus. In one or two it's simply more pronounced . . .

It's a damn mercurial little plant to be sure, and its reputation only being made more eccentric by the fact that it eats things . . .
    Last edited by xvart; 06-25-2008 at 11:49 AM. Reason: removed pictures from quote.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Cephs, but I don't see a second set of ribs.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bigbella, capensis: now that you mention it I do notice that it's not really a second pair of ribs but more the initial rib curling underneath and heading back out to the mid-rib. The funny thing is, along the back end, there are no more furs, and then the furs reappear as that rid heads backout to the middle rib so from a distance it looks like two ribs when it's actually the same one curling back out.

elgecko, jimscott, philcula: if that's the winter leaf than that what it is. The only time I have seen this appears on cephalotus that I received from southern carnivores and all of those flowered shortly after. I had come to assume that this is a sign of a cephalotus going in to flower. If they can go ahead and start producing pitchers instead I will have to watch this one closely to see how it carries on. It hasn't done much since August last year though. Almost 1 year in dormancy seems quite unusual. I think I should see some growth by now.

polywer: you have an eye for things expensive, that is a nepenthes jamban. want to see more photographs of that alone? It seems quite happy sitting here on cephalotus growing conditions. I wish I could say the same for the aristo sitting next to it though. That one is pouting and showing heat stress left right and center.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast