Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sarr Stratification

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Just toss some of dried stuff into an old food processor and sprinkle a thin layer on top of your pots. It doesn't matter if you put it on over the seeds or the seeds on top of the chopped stuff. Lois prefers to cover the seeds. Mist lightly with water. I recommend wearing a dust mask when messing with finely milled stuff.

Or put a pinch of the milled stuff in a plastic bag or cup with seeds mixed in it. Damp of course, with most of the water squeezed out.
    Ok, but can I put peat/perlite and have a top layer of the milled stuff? Plus, I'm not sure what a food processor, so would chopping it into fine little pieaces still work?
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember someone saying that stratifying with moist sand worked really well for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about algae? I have seedlings in pure milled sphagnum and it greened up almost immediately. I've moved them to a different tank with more circulation, but they were getting a breeze in the other tank as well.

Capensis, Mosser Lee makes a bag of milled sphagnum that I picked up for about $3 at a garden center. Of course, that is the stuff that turned green for me but it is commercially available milled moss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Should I just do an experiment using both pot and towel?
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ilbasso View Post
    How about algae? I have seedlings in pure milled sphagnum and it greened up almost immediately. I've moved them to a different tank with more circulation, but they were getting a breeze in the other tank as well.
    Algae doesn't seem to bother the seedlings. I scoop off what I can with a spoon and let the media dry out as much as possible for a day. What it does to germinating seeds I haven't had any experience with.

Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    ...Should I just do an experiment using both pot and towel?
    If you have enough seeds and the patience by all means experiment and see which technique you like or works best for you.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post

If you have enough seeds and the patience by all means experiment and see which technique you like or works best for you.
    I'll be receiving about 30 seeds and one thing I need to know is how long I need to stratify. Does 5 weeks sound good?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What species? 4 weeks for most everything. 5-6 weeks for S. purpurea.

You can chop LFS by hand but it's a PITA. Just shake shake out the dust from the bottom of the bag. That's what I do until it runs out.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's (leuco 'red' x okee minor) x psitt.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast