Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sarr Stratification

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually got some of that exact seed in the begining of april. I stratified it for four weeks with moist lfs and got about 85-90% germination. It did take awhile to germinate and start putting up pitchers. Mine were sown at the begining of may and they're just now starting to put up their second pitcher. Here's a pic from a couple weeks ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that lfs mixed with perlite, or all 1:1:1 of peat/perlite/lfs?
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're growing in peat moss and perlite. The lfs on top is what I stratified it with. I just spread the seeds and lfs across the surface and let them germinate. I guess I could pick the lfs off now but I probably won't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to bring this thread up, but it's been four weeks now and I now having the results. I did pot and baggie of sphagnum, and the seeds in the pot ending getting some kind of mold, or that's what it seems like. As far as I can tell, I see two that were uneffected. The ones in the baggie has no mold or fungus. I had the seeds at the bottom of the sphagnum as well, so in my opinion, I think the baggie with LFS is better. But with the pot, I kept it a baggie that was slighty open, so could this have caused the mold? Here is a photo of some seeds that have mold (I think it is).

Edit: In the pot was peat/perlite and with a top layer of LFS.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know, but it sound like you've been making a meal of it with bags.

Wrap in paper towel, wet and stick in the fridge for 5 weeks.

After 5 weeks, sow.

No mold, no messing with bags or moss.

Any mold is probably attributable to the stagnant conditions you've kept the seeds in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I can try that next time, if I get any seeds this Spring anyway.

Destiny VS Cause And Effect Empyrean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HMMM i have the same situation lol! well i do my cobra seed in a small carry out container, i put them in a soggy mixture of peat/perlit. and put them in the frige its already been 6 months now, i think i should get them out. and idea what should i do next? thinking about sprinkle the mixture of cobra seed/ peat / perlit on finely choped sphagnum moss will this work?

WARNING: take my advice at ur own risk, because i m newbie, i kno soggy is bad the seed r probably rot by now but i checked on them last sat. theres no mold or rot seed so far!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Six months? If Darlingtonia need to be stratified at all then 4 weeks is sufficient.

If you're using peat or Sphagnum moss (either live or otherwise) you want it slightly damp - squeeze or press out the water to the point where it will release water only when pressed.

As for sowing them, that will work, or just pour out the excess water, cover the container and put it in a warm brightly lit area that doesn't bake in the sun. If the seeds are still viable they could sprout in as little as ten days.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast