Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sarr Stratification

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarr Stratification

Well, I'm going to be getting some Sarr hybrid seeds soon(Thank you Ozzy and Pyro). I want to stratify them by putting them in pots with a baggie and soil and stratify. But, I want to hear what people with experience want to say. What has worked for you the best? And should I stratify for about 4 weeks?

Edit: Also, should I put it outside or in my tank, really close to the lights?
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put them in a wet paper towel inside a zip loc bag in the fridge for 6 weeks. You can put them outside or under lights whichever you prefer.
    I don't want EVERY Sarracenia, just everyone that I see!!
    Growlist/Wantlist Updated 2/23/12:http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103039

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as far as cutting down on mold, has there been one stratification media that has performed better?
    some say paper towel, some say damp LFSM, some say put the whole pot in,
    any opinions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had much luck with poking holes in the bottom of the cups in styrofoam egg cartons and filling them with the peat/perlite mix. I use the lid of the egg carton as a water tray and put it in the butter compartment of the fridge for a month. That's it and it has worked quite well for me.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live Sphagnum with most of the water squeezed out of it is the best mold inhibitor I've found, followed by finely milled dried sphagnum moss.

As long as it's cold and damp just about any medium works for stratification. I've found no difference in germination rates based on what was used for stratification.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think cinnamon helps discourage mold ask someone else for more info. Also the papertowels from public bathrooms tend to not mold as easily.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Live Sphagnum with most of the water squeezed out of it is the best mold inhibitor I've found, followed by finely milled dried sphagnum moss.

As long as it's cold and damp just about any medium works for stratification. I've found no difference in germination rates based on what was used for stratification.
    Ok, I have dried sphagnum, so I should just chop it up and what not? I've heard Dried Sphagnum rots quickly in hot weather.

Edit: Actually, I just so happened to have heard that bathrrom towels don't mold easily so I have some. But I'm not sure if I should use that or milled Sphagnum.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just toss some of dried stuff into an old food processor and sprinkle a thin layer on top of your pots. It doesn't matter if you put it on over the seeds or the seeds on top of the chopped stuff. Lois prefers to cover the seeds. Mist lightly with water. I recommend wearing a dust mask when messing with finely milled stuff.

Or put a pinch of the milled stuff in a plastic bag or cup with seeds mixed in it. Damp of course, with most of the water squeezed out.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast