Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Small secret

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small secret

If you want to get sarracenia with big pitchers and betiful colors, all you do is this: for one month, put it in a terrarium with dull lighting. The next month take it out! thats it! altough i havent tried this, it happen with my judith hindle which i kept inside for a year by mistake, iw ouldnt reccomend it, but now its taking off! Just remember, if you want ones better after seeing it, put it in for 2 months. But be sure the lightings good enough to keep it barely alive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This works for cephalotus pitchers I guess when you grow the plant in stronger light like full sun the pitchers are full of purple/red hues but are smaller and compact. I heard grow it in like 50% shade so the pitchers are larger and then acclimate it to full sun to bring out the color. If you do it too fast you might burn the plant.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure that the change wasn't because the plant went from sucky conditions to correct ones and therefore naturally started to look better??

Like the plants from Lowes that are in the cubes on the bottom shelf of the indoor section shaded by palm trees and orchids-you get them in the sun and they start to improve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, they start struggling but they live,and it IS because of the suckish conditions, but lowes doesnt get as bright as mine... last year they were all green my hindles, and soon today ill take a pic of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a secret, your sarracenia does not have beautiful color becuase you kept it in the terrarium before you moved it outside, it has beautiful colors becuase you moved it outside and started giving it proper conditions.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I shut myself in the dark in the basement for a month and only ate/drank just enough to stay alive then came upstairs several pounds lighter and a few shades paler and went out in the sun and started eating and living as I should, I'd color up and put on weight and basically return to a healthier state. I don't see how starving myself or my plants intentionally would be healthy in the long run.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah your not adding color to the plant, your giving it it's proper color. If you grow it it full sun it will have its proper color. If anything you could make a black tea to water the plants with to add color like bugweed used to do. What your doing now is just stressing the plant. Your giving all the leaves sunburn.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your plants would look just as well if not better if they had been grown outdoors in full sun all along. You would just have nothing to contrast the appearance to that way.

Try going the other way around and take mature plants that have always been grown in full sun and put them in a terrarium. You'll find that it's no secret that terrariums are not the best place to grow Sarracenia.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast