What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi everybody,

I'm a long term reader but not much of a poster, so thought I'd start to change that by posting some pictures from my carnivorous garden. I have been most impressed by what all of you have grown!

Growing up, I first got a chance to see Sarracenia Purpurea ssp Purpurea in a most amazing floating bog in southern Vermont, coming up on 20 years ago now. It is accessible only by canoe and my Boy Scout troop explored it on a camping trip. It's an otherworldly place that I hope to explore again sometime (need to get a kayak first), and share with all of you. Since that time as a kid, I have been fascinated with growing CP's, but at my parents house, we only got like 1-2 hours of sun a day, and every attempt at growing plants failed miserably.

Now that I have my own townhouse that receives plenty of sun, along with an unheated garage, I've been actively trying to grow plants for the last two years. I have purchased plants through many sources and have been quite happy with the results. I live in northern NY, zone 4, with once a winter lows in the -20 to -25 range. During the winter, the plants are in the dark garage, do not see any sun from nov-mar, but do fine, I have only lost a couple of plants out of the dozens I have. Starting in March, when we get above freezing, they go out on the south slope of my front yard, which gets sun from sunup to sundown. If the night will go to freezing, I move them quickly into the garage. This extends the growing season, and the south slope warms up so much faster than surrounding areas.

I grow the front yard plants in bog bowls and large pots, and during the summer, they get tons of sun. During the fall, I follow my spring method, until the plants go dormant and go inside the garage.

Here are some of my Sarr pictures, starting with the species first, then hybrids in a second reply, as some of the pics are big.

Here is the setup of the bog bowls in the front yard:

setup.jpg

S. Leucophylla. Great colors, don't you think?

sleuc.jpg

S. Minor, with a very short flower! Has anybody else had extremely short flowers like this?

sminor.jpg

I love S. Purpureas. The color difference between every one of them is amazing. Here's a redder S. Purpurea Venosa.

spurpvenosa1.jpg

And a more colored S. Purpurea Venosa, unless someone thinks this is another form than Venosa.

spurpvenosa.jpg

Even the color in my S. Purpurea ssp Purpureas have different color variations. Here's a northern MA seed grown one I purchased.

spurppurp.jpg

And its last meal of a wasp:

spurppurpwasp.jpg

Another S. Purpurea Purpurea

spurppurp1.jpg

And another...

spurppurp2.jpg

And another, with a D. Filiformis Filiformis:

spurppurp3.jpg

More hybrid pictures in the reply.

Jeremy

Beautiful plants, I really like all the non carnivores mixed in. It gives it a more natural feel

Continuing on with more hybrids,

I love collecting hybrids, the more complex or colorful, the better.

Here's a Purpurea venosa burkeii x Flava kimber ruffles seedling. Good color!

scates.jpg

A more typical S. Purpurea X Flava aka S. Catesbaei

scates1.jpg

S. X Ladies in Waiting

sdixielace.jpg

S. X Dixie Lace

sdixielace1.jpg

S. Catesbaei X Purpurea, aka S. X melanorhoda. It produced a lot of much longer floppier pitchers early this season, resembling the Flava, while last year it had much more squatter pitchers similar to Purpureas. The newest pitchers are squattier, and resemble Purps. Anybody else seen this before?

smelanhorada.jpg

This is an S. Purpurea ssp Purpurea forma Heterophylla X S. Psittacina "all green". Very slow growing, but I can't wait to see this one once its fully grown.

spurpallgreenxspsitallgreen.jpg

S. Purpurea X (S. Purpurea X S. Leucophylla). I love this hybrid! It has the shape of a S. Purpurea, but the nice coloration/areoles of the Leuc.

spurpxspurpxleuc.jpg

Another one of my favorite hybrids, an S. Purpurea X (S. Purpurea X S. Psittacina). Interesting pitchers, similar to S. Purps, but with more color, and squared off hoods.

spurpxspurpxpsit.jpg

And a common, but beautiful S. X Scarlet Belle

sscarletbelle.jpg

Enjoy!

Jeremy

Nice Plants! I really like your S. Purpurea X (S. Purpurea X S. Leucophylla). Your Purpurea venosa burkeii x Flava kimber ruffles is nice too. I got two a little over a week ago but they're smaller than yours.

Those Sarrs of yours are amazing, especially the hybrids! The S. x purpurea x (purpurea x leuco) and the S. purpurea ssp. purpurea Heterophylla x psitt 'green' seem like ineresting hybrids.

Nice looking plants! I love using those big round planter pots for mini-bogs.

Hi Jeremy

So glad you came out of the lurker closet! See? We got to see some beautiful plants. :)

They are nice! Love those colors.

Thank you for sharing and I hope you'll continue to hang out with everybody. :)

Great stuff. I'm diggin' that S. Purpurea X (S. Purpurea X S. Psittacina) too. The pitcher opening has nice character.

Thanks everybody for your positive comments! Glad you all liked the photos. Some of the plants have flowers, and I hope to get some seeds, and what what kind of hybrids show up, if sucessful.

I also started an inground bog garden in the backyard using a pre-fab 3 foot by 2foot pond kit. There is less sun, but still 5-6hours, and some indirect before and after, just at the lower end of what is needed. That one will need to be winterized heavily. I'll keep you all posted on how that goes. Just got some new plants for that.

Jeremy

do a journal on the construction of the bog and post in our bog section, I'm sure everyone here would love to follow along with its progress!

do I have an amen anyone?

Looking good.

S. minor does tend to grow short flowers.

Back