What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephs

A little while ago i brought a handfull of baby cephs and i was stupid ,and planted them in tiny little pots and i was going to pot them up in bigger pots today and relised that in one of the little pots there is not one but five little cephs,what should i do:hail:

Last edited:
just repot them in a larger pot.

So i dont need to seperate each plant

So i dont need to seperate each plant

I wouldn't do that because it sounds like Cephs are very sensitive, even to transplanting, so if you divide them, that might be too much.

I would wait until they're older and more hardened (?) before dividing. However, you should see what everyone says first.

Thanks for the help and i will see what happens

you don't need to.....but you definitely can if you want! it all depends on the size of the plant how many you can separate since some of them may not have developed yet a acceptable root systen

The plant are about the size of a coin and there in a pot that is about 1 1/2inches across.

Mine was the same size when i split it in 4 last year...all are well...but if you don't realy realy realy....need more cephs i would suggest to live it alone and try it later when they grow a bit more.

the plants love to mound. so i dont believe a few plants in the same pot are going to disturb eachother. unless the pot is too small. then it might, but id wait and see.
what kind of coin are we talking about here. they came in all shapes and sizes after all lol.

Thanks for the help and i was talking about an australian coin

i was thinking at the american quarter coin....so compare if you can

I am talking about the the australian $1 coin which is about 2 1/2 cm across

I decided to seperate the plants and i found that it is one plant.It is like 6 basals coming out of the centre plant which look to be 6 seperate plants should i just leave it or what

they aren't as sensitive as you'd think, FWIW

I decided to seperate the plants and i found that it is one plant.It is like 6 basals coming out of the centre plant which look to be 6 seperate plants should i just leave it or what

If the plants are as small as you have described, simply leave it (or them) alone until it grows out a bit. You'll have plenty of opportunities to separate offshoots down the line. Let a good root system develop first.

What? You in some sort of hurry?

I would just overturn the whole pot, remove the plants and media as a whole gently and place them all into a larger pot. The empty spaces are filled with new media. In that way, the plants are disturbed minimally at the roots. The plants will ease themselves out in the larger pot.

I decided to just repot them and see what happens.

Thanks for the help

My Ceph just arrived yesterday (I affectionatly named it 'Audrey Junior'), and I found my baby plant had two growing points. I just repotted it into a larger pot, not seperating it at all.

Back