What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how does Sarracenia wrigleyana get liquid in pitcher?

when i got mine it seemed like there was no liquid in the pitchers, but if i shine light behind them i can see shadows, most likely dead bugs. i was wondering if they produce enzymes themself when something gets trapped? or maybe they rely on bacteria in water? do i need to add some water into the pitchers? by the way i keep them in a inch of water and i do mist them dayly.

They produces it themselves. No need to mist them. Just think, in the wild, there's nothing to put water into its pitchers..except rain possibly. I don't know how the hybrid looks like.

Wrigleyana looks similar to psittacina.

Rain cannot enter the pitchers, but doesn't need to - digestive juices are secreted by the pitchers.

are the juices always inside the plant? or do they only produce it when its caught prey?

They only produce it when they've caught prey. Not much is produced - just enough to absorb the insides of the insects. It's more economical to keep it to a minimum.

Back