o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really want to grow indoors, you can get a 250 watt HPS or MH light which would allow them to do really well indoors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could wrestle the deer to the ground with your bare hands and then convince it to leave your plants be.

or.... do the chickenwire cage thing... probably the best idea...

if she likes cp's and indoors is the answer you may try a different cp there are plenty of colorful cp's that can grow on a bright windowsill it just so happens that sarrs are the worst candidate for that...

good luck

Katherine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would beg to differ with the generally excepted statement 'you can't grow them on windowsills and get good color' which is commonly, seemingly attached to Sarracenia. From personal experience, you CAN grow these plants on windowsills, albeit bright ones. I currently grow two species of Sarracenia on my Nana's windowsill, and both went from having bright green leaves, to the point where I was wondering if they were antothycin free, to having extremely red veined pitchers in 1 week. They even started to produce abundant nectar outside of the pitchers, in little beads of 'honey'. The plants were a purpurea and a hybrid with some purpurea heritage. Of course, I cannot vouch for other Sarracenia, maybe they need more light? But generally I treat all my Sarracenia the same.

So, it seems like you can grow Sarracenia on windowsills, if they're bright enough, and the right temperatures etc. Of course, the plants still need dormancy etc. though, but just wanted to point out it isn't necessarily impossible
    Drosera Arcturi-The Alpine Sundew...

I'm an AMP People's Choice Applicant this year, please vote for me here:
    http://ampvoting.orcas.co.nz/Applicants/Details/10699

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely. VFTs are happy as larry on a sunny windowsill, although you've more chance of them colouring up well on a south facing one, rather than east or west.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My pitcher plant is happy as anything on our bathroom windowsill. It gets dappled bright sunlight all day long and is almost BLACK it's so dark. I'll get some pictures up at some point. It's rather impressively dark red.

Anyway, give it lots and lots of light and there's really no need to feed it bugs, it can catch what it needs on it's own (and you'd be surprised how many insects get indoors. Ours seems constantly stuffed lol)
    Try to find a windowsill that gets early morning and late evening light as well as light all day. Lots of light seems to make for a happy plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put it outdoors and give it as much sun as you can.

It probably won't go through it's required winter dormancy on a windowsill, so I'd be thinking about that too.....
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CPs CAN still get very nice color and grow vigorously indoor with the proper lighting.

Sarracenia purpurea ssp venosa Walton Co Fl

Getting good color indoors

Venus Flytrap (Typcial)

Getting good color indoors

And my Drosera capensis All Red is just that... all red, which is a sign of good lighting. All of this is done on a growrack with 6 T12 bulbs. The plants do like sun, but don't buy into the logic that they will look terrible indoors. Mine are doing just fine...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast