Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help With My Heliamphora

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish you luck with your heliamphora. From what I've read, it's supposed to be the most difficult and slowest growing carnivorous plant there is.

However, I do plan to buy one in the future when I have my own greenhouse full of CPs
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
    I wish you luck with your heliamphora. From what I've read, it's supposed to be the most difficult and slowest growing carnivorous plant there is.

However, I do plan to buy one in the future when I have my own greenhouse full of CPs
    I would have to respectfully disagree . . .

In point of fact, Heliamphora are remarkably simple to cultivate, provided you can offer a reasonable facsimile of its natural growing conditions. That may seem obvious at the outset, but if you are capable of growing ultra-highland or even conventional highland Nepenthes with any success -- offering them reasonably warm bright humid days and a generous Tb drop by night -- you can easily grow Heliamphora . . .

True, Marsh Pitchers can be slow to develop from seedling plants (like many other carnivorous species) to those producing adult pitchers; but, upon maturity, they can accelerate their growth and spread like weeds . . .

“Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there guys. Here are some pics of my Helis. First is a pic when I first got them.

This about after a year.

And this is today.

Some of the browning pitchers are some of the original ones that were on the plant when I got it. And it is sending out new growth. I wonder if I need to invest in a humidifier for it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol dude there is your main answer right there, the crappy little CP Growlight with a 15w full spec bulb, ive looked into those, and those are no good for your plants. your going to need alot more than that, and you need something better for humidity. terrarium with a couple of shoplight fluorescent fixtures should do the trick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boglodyte View Post
    Hey there guys. Here are some pics of my Helis. First is a pic when I first got them . . .

Some of the browning pitchers are some of the original ones that were on the plant when I got it. And it is sending out new growth. I wonder if I need to invest in a humidifier for it?
    Those pictures say a thousand words -- so goes the cliché . . .

It is entirely a matter of too little light and too low a rate of humidity. The light deficit is evidenced by the improper formation of leaves in the last photo; and the browning, from a definite lack of moisture. Heliamphora are peculiar in that -- unless given sufficent light --their pitcher leaves don't form properly and are etioliated, and one cannot even identify the species under some circumstanes.

Stick that baby in a terrarium under bright lights and high humidity (use the shallow tray method to kill two birds with one stone) and those characteristic leaves will return . . .

Good luck . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12