Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sarrencia Leaning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody's mentioned the fact that come August, new growth will push the old pitchers to the side.

All the nice photos you see of them in the wild are often takend during the first half of the growing season. They start to look a bit tatty later on.

I have pitchers falling over all over the place, which is perfecly normal at this time of year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a real problem with pitchers leaning over, even snapping in half, mostly on my taller ones (leucophyllia - I'm looking at you *cough*). But it's windy here, really windy, non stop day and night. We live up on a hillside, right at the bottom of a mountain, and during the day we get a warm valley breeze blowing uphill, and at night a cool mountain breeze blowing downhill. I've had to stake and tie the taller pitchers. It's the only thing I could do. So don't worry, sometimes it's necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Older pitchers will naturally bend over..happens all the time..
    even in the wild..

mine often bend over due to the weight of the bugs they contain..
    and yes, wind is a big factor..often the wind will bend over a pitcher, and it doesnt have the strength to bend itself upright again..I tie up quite a few pitchers every summer to bamboo supports.

assuming light is good, bending is natural.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah my guess is indeed wind, for tall growing Sarracenia like Flava and leucophylla especially, My S. Flava has 4 or 5 pitchers that that have bent because of wind, brand new, newly opened pitchers, and some are not even opened, we have had some pretty strange weather over the last week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even without a breath of wind, pitchers will eventually lean as new growth on the rhizome pushes over older pitchers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12