What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My kitchen windowsill Cephalotus

I grow one of my Cephalotus on my sunny kitchen windowsill. I received the plant pictured below in spring 2007, it had approximately 3 to 4 mature pitchers at the time. The plant doesn't take on much colour, despite being in a sunny location but it grows fast.

ceph_08_2008_01.JPG

The pitchers at soil level at the front are new this year.

ceph_08_2008_02.JPG

One of the growing tip showing more pitchers on the way.

ceph_08_2008_03.JPG

Another growing tip.

ceph_08_2008_04.JPG

This is one of the latest, larger pitchers. It's pictured with a 5 Pence which is approximately 17mm (11/16th).

ceph_08_2008_05.JPG

I grow in long tom pots. I allow the saucer to drain of water before replenishing with rainwater. I usually water from the top of the pot and allow it to drain through.

Very nice. How old is your cephalotus?

Very nice. How old is your cephalotus?
I don't know. As it only had 3 or 4 mature pitchers when I got it last years, I guess that it isn't very old.

Nice ceph you got there!

I grow my 2 cephs on a window too, but mine are younger and smaller and get more red. How fast does yours grow? I find my grows really fast.

Nice pot. I really like those tall pots; except I would be afraid that with my poor motor skills I would knock over those top heavy center of balance pots... lol.

xvart.

edit: oh, and your Cephalotus looks good too!

Looks good. I like to have a top layer of live LFS.

Looks good. I like to have a top layer of live LFS.
I like live sphagnum moss on my Nepenthes and Heliamphora but I don't like to keep the soil surface of Cephalotus very wet so I find that the moss doesn't survive well.

I grow one of my Cephalotus on my sunny kitchen windowsill. I received the plant pictured below in spring 2007, it had approximately 3 to 4 mature pitchers at the time. The plant doesn't take on much colour, despite being in a sunny location but it grows fast.

I grow in long tom pots. I allow the saucer to drain of water before replenishing with rainwater. I usually water from the top of the pot and allow it to drain through.

Very nice Cephalotus. It looks like you have one of the nice clumping forms, likely to fill a pot to overflowing.

I too grow a couple on a south-facing windowsill (in the US) and they do surprisingly well. My friends who have difficulty growing Cephalotus at all tend to kill them with kindness and always manage to ask a million questions why mine survive and flower. My answer has always simply been, "Don't **** with them and they'll be fine . . ."

Here is a Cephalotus which had been posted a while back. It has lived above my kitchen sink for at least a couple of years . . .

CF--GIANT.jpg

Very nice plants mobile and BigBella. What size pots are those? Three or four inches?

Hey Mobile! It's good to see you posting here. I usually see you around cpuk.

Nice looking ceph.

Hey Mobile! It's good to see you posting here. I usually see you around cpuk.

Nice looking ceph.
Hi Jefforever. I'm a frequent poster on CPUK but I have to restrict the number of forums that I post to else I tend to spend all of my evenings on them lol.

My friends who have difficulty growing Cephalotus at all tend to kill them with kindness and always manage to ask a million questions why mine survive and flower. My answer has always simply been, "Don't **** with them and they'll be fine . . ."
I agree, I find Cephalotus don't like too much change. I tend to put mine in a location and, as long as they don't show a dislike to it, I do not move them. I also don't fuss over watering them - just water then allow the saucer to empty before watering again. I have a feeding routine which I do not alter.

Here is a Cephalotus which had been posted a while back. It has lived above my kitchen sink for at least a couple of years . . .

CF--GIANT.jpg
Nice looking Cephalotus and nice colouration.

I like the rich green coloring of Mobile's pitchers. Very nice.

My Ceph grows well in a West-north-west window. Gets some color but stays mostly a lovely green. :)

Nice ceph mobile, I like the dark green color.

I have a question about baby cephs. I was was wondering why this ceph is all green

P8100032.jpg

bu this ceph is a lighter color.

P8130043.jpg

P8130045.jpg

Thanks

I don't know anything about cephs, but that ceph in the second pic of yours elsantaclause looks kindof sick or something..

I just got that one so I don't know

Very nice plants mobile and BigBella. What size pots are those? Three or four inches?

Thanks.The windowsill Cephalotus pictured is in a 10 cm (4") pot and the largest pitcher leaves are 5.8 cm (2.3"). It desperately needs repotting; it just got away from me . . .

Thanks guys.

I don't know anything about cephs, but that ceph in the second pic of yours elsantaclause looks kindof sick or something..
What makes you think it looks sick? The color? I think it looks very healthy and attractive. The mixture of red and green is very nice.

elsantaclause: All cephs won't have the exact same coloration. Usually light will directly cause different colors, but sometimes it just depends on the plant. Someone on here made a thread not too long ago about how they have two cephs growing side by side with the exact same lighting. One of the plants is pure green, the other is red all around. (A perfect example)
Since your plant is new, chances are the colors will change when it gets adjusted to the new light.

Matt

Back