What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Ceph growing experiences at the equator

Cindy

Staff member
Mildew - Cephs kept in conditions of low light, too humid and stagnant air

Chemical burns - Cephs fried with overdose of what I deemed as safe fertiliser

Mealybugs and scales - Cephs with yellowing leaves which I ignored for several weeks

...all of which I have to admit is a lack of cultivation knowledge rather than the plant being fussy or difficult. :blush:

In bright indirect light and getting the afternoon heat of 33C, the largest pitcher to date is 1.5". :-O
ceph_clump1.jpg

ceph_clump2.jpg

I am keeping a close watch on this pot of Cephs as I push its limit to grow at the balcony, in year round lowland conditions.
ceph_clump.jpg

Mildew - Cephs kept in conditions of low light, too humid and stagnant air

Chemical burns - Cephs fried with overdose of what I deemed as safe fertiliser

Mealybugs and scales - Cephs with yellowing leaves which I ignored for several weeks

...all of which I have to admit is a lack of cultivation knowledge rather than the plant being fussy or difficult. :blush:

In bright indirect light and getting the afternoon heat of 33C, the largest pitcher to date is 1.5". :-O

I am keeping a close watch on this pot of Cephs as I push its limit to grow at the balcony, in year round lowland conditions.

Nice looking plants you have there. I too have done experiments over the years, growing Cephalotus in a number of different environmnents, though cultivating them under equatorial sun is something I cannot claim.

A far as the fertilizers are concerned, I've always had good results with 1/4 strength 30:10:10 orchid fertilzer, applied as a foliar feed twice-monthly either in the evening or very early morning -- to avoid burns or spotting of the leaves, etc.

Lately, on the advice of one very successful grower, I even have tried Hikari Cichlid Staple mini-fish pellets dropped into the pitchers biweekly with, so-far, good results . . .

Thanks, BigBella for all the tips.

It wasn't wasy growing this species without some significant night drop or cooling. I was really pushing my luck this year with the growing area hitting 35C (95C) on certain days. I got the plant in October last year when the weather is cooler and more humid. Even then at 25C (77F), it is considered warm for most growers here. LOL

Back