Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus appreciation thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question: How do I make my Cephalotus grow faster? Will more light or fertilizer help?
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
    Question: How do I make my Cephalotus grow faster? Will more light or fertilizer help?
    Av8tor1 explains a few of his 'secrets' in another thread iirc. If I'm in the mood & find a bug, I'll toss it in a pitcher instead of the trash. However, too large of a bug and the pitcher will rot & die.

Quote Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
    I do not fertilize my plants but will feed them small mealworms from time to time.
    Hey - that counts!!

That's a pretty crazy ceph you've got growing there Mr. Gecko! So, is that one going on the market or being divided into 20 different clumps?

I repotted 2 recently from 2.5" pots into 4" pots that I plan to let grow for a while. One's on my windowsill and the other stayed with his friends in the terrarium.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
    I'm pretty sure Av8tor1 explained in one of my previous threads. IMO, feeding and fertilizing would help, but I would feed it with bugs to be on the safe side. Then again, it's just bouncing back from...whatever happened, so be patient. And besides, Cephalotus is supposedly one of the slower growing CPs.

Edit: Link. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116069
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Av8tor1 explains a few of his 'secrets' in another thread iirc. If I'm in the mood & find a bug, I'll toss it in a pitcher instead of the trash. However, too large of a bug and the pitcher will rot & die.

Hey - that counts!!

That's a pretty crazy ceph you've got growing there Mr. Gecko! So, is that one going on the market or being divided into 20 different clumps?

I repotted 2 recently from 2.5" pots into 4" pots that I plan to let grow for a while. One's on my windowsill and the other stayed with his friends in the terrarium.
    Thanks Ron. That plant will get split up when the time comes. It still has loads of space in that pot before I need to do that......

That is true Ron, but when it comes to CP's and someone asks do I fertilize the plants, what comes to my mind is commercial powder fertilizer and misting the plants or pitcher feeding.

I do not have luck with cephs on the windowsill. When fall comes around the windowsill plants get a white powdery fungus on the leaves and pitchers. This happened the first time I tried it, so this year I was prepared and let the pots dry out a lot more then usual. I still got the fungus. I guess the lower light levels and how cold I keep the house just do not work for windowsill cephs.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how is a bug fertilizer? It is just replacing the ants the cephs might have eaten in the wild.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keeping them cool helps. With my temperature, I get bigger plants with numerous immature pitchers!
    Cindy

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Opps! I guess I saw the year wrong. ;p lol! man! truly fantastic ceph though. I can't wait (just another year and a half to go) to hopefully reach that stage of overflowing ceph pitchers. . Thanks for sharing. I feed by cephs crickets occassionally as well.

Quote Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
    Check the date of the post when I split the plant. It was back in 06. So it took 2 years 6 months to reach the size it is now.

Here's a picture I had posted in the splitting thread that was from 9/6/07

I do not fertilize my plants but will feed them small mealworms from time to time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    how is a bug fertilizer?
    Um...since it would eat a bug, it'll get nutrients from the bug, giving it a little boost? Just like with any other CP.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752